R/O bhs layout trouble

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a new level 6 gymnast who is currently having trouble learning my layout (IK, my layout is required but I am currently competing highschool season right now). I can do it flawlessly on a tumble track and know the timing of the skill, but when I try it on the regular floor it always turns into a low pike! I don't know what causes it! I need some tips or drills I can do to help me gain the skill.

I have a solid r/o bhs back tuck and standing back tuck if that helps. Thanks!! :)

I had this issue for a slight period of time and my coach said it just meant I wasnt ready to do it on floor. you could try to whip it a bit but that would probally cause a bad habit and thats not good.

Most likely the reason ur piking is because otherwise you wont make it around(your body has odd ways of knowing)

so do some more tumble track and try to set more so you have more time to flipB

Thank you! Do you think the reason why my body it's ready for layouts is because of a lack of strength? Do you think if I worked on strength in different parts of my soy it would help?

Thank you! Do you think the reason why my body it's ready for layouts is because of a lack of strength? Do you think if I worked on strength in different parts of my soy it would help?
Tbh no it probably has something to do with the set now it wouldn't hurt to put in some extra calf conditioning to get some extra jump but it doesn't seem like the real issue

Maybe your not turning your back handspring over enough to be upright into the layout, which would cause you to flip and land piked. Because you're low you could also be whipped the skill over by throwing your head back. This happens when people are learning new skills or are nervous to do skills (silly right because doing this makes the new skill both harder and scarier).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back