rec classes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,
I just joined this site and had a question.

My daughter is 8 and has been taking rec classes for 4 sessions. I see improvements in cartwheels but that's about it. Are rec classes generally more 'laid back' - so it doesn't really matter if she learns skills or not?
But if she can do 'pre team' then is it more 'serious' and then she will learn some more basic skills?
I know she is not naturally good in gymnastics but she has a great interest in it and is willing to try but I just feel like maybe rec classes are 'not enough' ? but then maybe preteam would be too much??

kinda confused- thanks for listening!
lisa

Don't think you needed another thread on this but if your child is going to Pre-team then its not so she will have a more advanced rec class its with the intention of going down the Jr Olympic competitive team prograam - this is a long haul program that is a lifestyle and eventually will take almost every spare moment of your childs free time.

My DD Started Pre- team at 3yo - 6yo (they had 3 different levels of pre-team) Then went on to L4 team she is now a Competing L7 practicing L8 gymanst and spends 20+hours a week at the gym - from now until May almost every weekend at a competitive meet. $400 a month for the classes, $100 or more for meet fees, and much more financially.

If this isn't something you think your DD would want , or you aren't going to be that commited as a family then maybe a second or thirs rec class is all that is needed.

If your DD might want to compete then there is a program called Prep-op that gives more than a rec class gives, lets the gymnast go to compete at a few meets in the year and allows movement to the regular team if that is something she wants. Not all gyms offere this program so maybe that might be a good alternative for you.

thanks so much! your post was very helpful - yes, i think you are right - maybe just another rec class.

thanks again!
lisa

You might want to try Prep-Op or at least look into it if you want something that feels like team but doesn't have all the expense or time commitment. it probably wouldn't be much more than adding the 2nd rec class.

you say she has had 8 sessions, of how long ? An hour ? Not that long is it ?

Gymnastics takes a huge amount of strength and co-ordination, much more than she probably has at the moment - the things she is doing in her class are designed not only to develop her skills, but also to improve her condition to enable her to do more skills. She will improve with time ;)

you say she has had 8 sessions, of how long ? An hour ? Not that long is it ?

Gymnastics takes a huge amount of strength and co-ordination, much more than she probably has at the moment - the things she is doing in her class are designed not only to develop her skills, but also to improve her condition to enable her to do more skills. She will improve with time ;)

Yes it is - gymnastics is a very very long long marathon and it can take years to see real improvement

I think the intensity of 'rec' classes varies between gyms. At our gym the rec classes are very laid back and there is a huge gap between rec and competitive, with nothing much in between. There is a 'novice comp' class that is like a more advanced rec and is also used as a 'pre-comp' class, that is, girls can be invited up to competitive from that class. My older DD has done rec gym for about 5 years and got a few basic skills but they are still pretty rough. I would have expected her to progress a lot more in all that time. Partly that is down to her, but partly it is that they don't really push the rec kids, so it is more just a fun thing for them. It depends on the gym, I've seen some excellent rec gymnasts from other gyms at novice competitions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back