Parents Rec vs. team hours (opinions needed)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastmom38

Proud Parent
My daughter is in the "rec" program (advanced class) now moving up to 6 hours per week, training for level 4. The cost is $200/month.

The level 4 "team" trains for 9 hours per week and their cost is also $200/month.

Obviously there is a difference of 3 hours more training for the team versus the rec, even though they are both training level 4. I was wondering if any of your gyms do this as well, but charge differently like it is appearing that our gym is doing? I'm completely confused as to why this is...

My daughter will be competing starting starting in the spring, but just not competing like the team, which will be doing USAG this fall.

Any advice parents?

Well obviously I'd want 9 hours for my $200 rather than 6 hours! I'm not sure why they do this, but maybe there are other team fees associated with being on the level 4 team. Our gym has an equipment fee for team and other fundraisers they we must participate in or buy-out our portion.

I've never seen team cost less than rec. Weird.

My thoughts would be:

1. Does team have a lot of other charges? For example, are there other coach/equipment meet fees that parents pay? If so, it ends up being far more than $200 per month.
  2. Is there a yearly commitment for team? At our gym, you sign a contract for a year for team, but league just goes by session. Because of the yearly commitment, they are able to charge a little less.

In our gym, in terms of tuition only, the team kids pay much less per hour than the rec kids do. For example, if my DD who trains 15 hrs a week was charged the rec rate ($55/month per 45 minute class 1x per week) then we'd be paying over $750 a month!!! (thankfully we do not pay anywhere near that). I don't know the reasons, but I do know that rec programs are usually the "money makers" for gyms and team programs are not. Of course, team parents make up lots of the money in terms of meet fees, team uniforms, camps, clinics, etc, etc, etc...:)

Good luck to your DD!

To answer your questions:
1. No, there aren't coach/equipment fees that parents pay.
2. I don't believe there is a yearly commitment for the team (I haven't heard of any contract - my niece is on the team). I could see where that would make sense though.

I've never seen team cost less than rec. Weird.

My thoughts would be:

1. Does team have a lot of other charges? For example, are there other coach/equipment meet fees that parents pay? If so, it ends up being far more than $200 per month.
  2. Is there a yearly commitment for team? At our gym, you sign a contract for a year for team, but league just goes by session. Because of the yearly commitment, they are able to charge a little less.

Our gym offers discounts based on the extra hours put in as well. It's like every hour that is added, the total per hour goes down. That's why I was surprised when I saw that the 6 hours for rec and 9 hours for team were the same cost. I would think it would be total hours across the board at some point, you know? I mean even though we're "rec" we still pay meet fees, team uniforms, etc...just like the team does.

In our gym, in terms of tuition only, the team kids pay much less per hour than the rec kids do. For example, if my DD who trains 15 hrs a week was charged the rec rate ($55/month per 45 minute class 1x per week) then we'd be paying over $750 a month!!! (thankfully we do not pay anywhere near that). I don't know the reasons, but I do know that rec programs are usually the "money makers" for gyms and team programs are not. Of course, team parents make up lots of the money in terms of meet fees, team uniforms, camps, clinics, etc, etc, etc...:)

Good luck to your DD!

I am confused that your "team" is "rec"? What is the difference between these two level 4 groups (since you said they both compete) and the reasoning behind one group practing less? We have a class at my gym that is the equivelant skill wise to the level 4/5 team, but they practice wayyy less and do not compete and therefore have no extra fees. This class exists only for children who do not want to compete, but still advance their skills. This is what I think of when I hear rec gym.

It sounds similar to our gym. As others have said team is usually more hours because if you paid the same as the classes you would have to pay a fortune, I think they do this to give the team parents a break because they also have alot other fees. Like the others have said our gym makes money on the recreation classes not the team although I am sure other gyms might be different. Our gym has a small team that is hand selected there are no try outs but I have seen other gyms were there are larger teams. The higher level and the more hours the less it costs per hour. There is a class for level 4 that is recreational only I think this is for kids who are not competeing but I think some kids might progress from this class to developmental class and eventually compete it sounds similar to your scenerio.

Well, I talked to the owner and we got it figured out. Problem solved! :D

Oh, and my dd was invited to join the level 4 team. :D:D

The reason for the price being the same is that the rate for the team hasn't been bumped up yet...kind of a sticker shock thing. The way he was explaining it to me made sense. I would imagine the team price will be moved up eventually though...given that it's 3 extra hours in the gym.

Congratulations!

and what was the reason that the owner gave you??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back