Parents Recovery time and treatment for hamstring strain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
Hi-my 10 yr old daughter has a hamstring pull/strain. It happened about a month ago and for the first week we did not realize how bad it was so she kept doing gymnastics and then we finally took her to the doctor. He said 3wks no activity and to go to physical therapy. As of today (3 wks later)she still has the pain, basically no difference from day 1. She has been to PT 3 times and dies the exercises they give her.
Any insights on how long it takes to heal? I heard about infrared laser treatment, does it help?
We would love any advice. Thanks!

Mine had a hamstring injury a while back and it took a while. I don’t recall how long but it was more months versus weeks, I hate to say. Same thing with teammates who have dealt with it. But that’s months to being back to normal. I feel like it’s the type of injury that you have to be kind of patient with but it kind of impacts a season. Yes to PT, and lots of stretching and heat if I recall, prior to practice, to loosen it up. But obviously follow the advice of your PT and ortho. Good luck!

Hamstrings can definitely take months. Be very careful with over treating it with PT / stretching / etc... these things (especially the stretching) could easily be making it worse. If she is having pain after PT / stretching... talk to the Dr. again and see what they say about this... most that we have worked with do not want much pain / discomfort at the beginning stages of the recovery.

One other thing to note... if she is growing... it could take longer than if she is not. Growing creates stretching and a lack of strength all on its own.

I second JBS on being very careful and getting medical help. I knew a girl who'd had a hamstring injury and was never the same, trouble doing things like cartwheels years later. I don't mean to make you freak out, I expect your daughter will be fine. However, I just want to point out how important it can be to take this seriously.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Mo-Salto Club

Back