Parents Recreational Gymnastics .. Testing ..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

During my dd's gym session they began (after warm up) with splitting into groups, they when then asked to perform a Forward Roll, Backwards Roll and Cartwheel on the floor and then a pull up attempt without support and one with support if they needed it ( my dd can nearly do one unsupported but not quite ), dd could do the other 3 with no problems. They had to do this in front of others while the coach marked something on a clipboard (going from what dd told me)After they had finished they went back to their normal lessons. Any ideas what this "testing" would be for.

To be honest, anyone answering this question (other than someone from your gym) would be completely guessing. It could be anything.

Most gyms keep a track of progress in rec classes with some sort of tick chart, but there's no standard 'testing program' in the UK as every gym will arrange their classes differently and have different requirements. They sound a bit like the basic skills my daughter's gym required to move from beginner rec to intermediate rec (although handstand was generally wanted too), but that's my best guess.

It's good that they do systematic progress testing and have some sort of recording method, so if your daughter did well, that's great for her. Just ask them what they were testing for :)

One gym in the area does "report cards" periodically to show what level the child is at. I think they also use it to determine who they want to ask to try out for pre-team.

To be honest, anyone answering this question (other than someone from your gym) would be completely guessing. It could be anything.

Most gyms keep a track of progress in rec classes with some sort of tick chart, but there's no standard 'testing program' in the UK as every gym will arrange their classes differently and have different requirements. They sound a bit like the basic skills my daughter's gym required to move from beginner rec to intermediate rec (although handstand was generally wanted too), but that's my best guess.

It's good that they do systematic progress testing and have some sort of recording method, so if your daughter did well, that's great for her. Just ask them what they were testing for :)

I think it's a great idea that they keep track of progress as there doesn't seem to be any sort of moving forward type progress, it's a one size fits all at dd's gym where you progress through age rather than ability unless you are lucky enough to get picked for development classes.

Maybe things are changing with the rec classes at dd's gym and they are thinking about grouping them together by skill level rather than age. The haven't done any badge testing since last year and this defiantly was not that. Dd's skill level is not fantastic but then again it's not poor either, she would benefit by more challenging classes, at the moment she is challenging herself at home by doing supported handstand holds starting from 20 secs a few days ago has now built it up to 60 secs and she has improved her cartwheel as well, but I feel she should be challenged at gym not at home as that is what I am paying for. I will be keeping an eye on things for the next few months and if nothing has changed at her gym than maybe its time to have a chat with the coaches as I am paying for this.

Gyms need to test recreational gymnasts to see when they are ready to move up to the next level. This may not be what it's for, but there is a good chance.

I feel she should be challenged at gym not at home as that is what I am paying for. I will be keeping an eye on things for the next few months and if nothing has changed at her gym than maybe its time to have a chat with the coaches as I am paying for this.

I hope you didn't misunderstand what I was trying to say here, I am not implying that my dd should move out of rec gym, what I am trying to say is that there should be some progression in rec gym. I understand that they can not progress that same way as development / pre team children due to the time spent in the gym but there should be some sort of progression, I lot of rec parents feel that way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back