WAG Recruiting timeline table?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There are lots of kids that are multi year L10s that don't get scholarships, too. Even if they aren't hurt. Even if they are very competitive. There are lots of stories out there, including at our gym, of girls who were not L10s until junior/senior year who have scholarships or ended up as a walk on, or like in gymmom10s case, even an offer to a top team. Check this link out and look at the various years - I found it very interesting how many kids in my dd's class, that I KNOW are great gymnasts and multi year 10s, don't have scholarships. http://www.gymdivas.us/2019.htm

My daughter first competed level 10 in seventh grade, and we starting doing visits after her 8th grade season. We visited quite a number of schools. She got an offer in her sophomore offer and only had two offers, one of which she accepted. Even having been through it, we don't really know what the college coaches minds are truly at, and until they start openly sharing their strategies no one will really know. She had two programs that expressed a LOT interest only to one day stop communicating and verbal a first year 10 or one with less skills. Several of our friends were or are going through the process, and we've watched over and over again where the decision to commit someone seemed a bit of a mystery on paper. In the end, it's still a mystery. My feeling is that it's not just about exact skills or even perfect skills, but more about having the right level of proficiency in the event(s) that the program needs and whether or not they see your kid's potential to develop. It's also about being a good personality/culture fit, sometimes about living in state or in region of the team, having a coach that is involved and willing to do a lot of communication on your kid's behalf, and also your coach/team/gym reputation (ie do they have college coaches coming in to visit often, whether or not your coach has connections or past D1 commits, how they run their program).

So bottom line, I agree with gymmom10, don't get all hung up on a chart. They don't recruit based on a chart. Start making contact when your kid has college level skills to show, cast a wide net, have big goals and aim for nationals but remember that it's not always about numbers/scores/placements, let your gymanst do most of the communication and share more about what kind of person and teammate they are rather than just their individual accomplishments, and be extra thankful if your coach is helpful!

BachFlyer, I thought you gave the best insight and advice for all this. I hope those recruiting read this.

My dd also started gymnastics in 2nd grade, competed old L5 in 3rd, L7 in 4th, L8 in 5th, L9 in 6th and level 10 in 7th. So you do NOT have to have a plan starting in kindergarten. And any team that tells you your 7-8 year old is too old to be competitive is full of poo-poo.
I completely agree with not having to start in kindergarten (which is why I think it is crazy that 6-7 year olds are told they are "too old" for JO). When I took the table and extrapolated it down, it was to show JUST how crazy it was :)
That being said, my gymmies were both invited to team when they were 6 (toward the end of kindergarten due to October b-days), but the first meets weren't until after their 7th birthdays.
They both repeated old L4. If not for drama, OG would be at least L8 this season as a sophomore and YG would probably be training L7 going into 7th grade.

I do wish there was more info out there for boys though!
It is a lot more vague. I think because there really are so few spots and what each team is looking for varies year to year. I will pm you what I learned from the Road to College Gymnastics seminar they did at the camp E attended.

My DD just received her first "letter of interest" from a college, we received it on Saturday. We were and are still shocked and befuddled that she has already gotten college contact.

I'm not really sure why anyone would be shocked about getting a recruiting letter. Coaches visit gyms, look at TOPs/Hopes/Jr Elite results to scout new talent. They look at YouTube and other internet postings like Chalk Warrior, Instagram, etc. that are basically "advertising" your gymnasts' skill set. Isn't the whole point of all that to get noticed? To put you on their radar? It worked.

I'm not really sure why anyone would be shocked about getting a recruiting letter. Coaches visit gyms, look at TOPs/Hopes/Jr Elite results to scout new talent. They look at YouTube and other internet postings like Chalk Warrior, Instagram, etc. that are basically "advertising" your gymnasts' skill set. Isn't the whole point of all that to get noticed? To put you on their radar? It worked.

I'm guessing that the OP is not shocked by the letter, just the fact that it was received so soon (dd only 11.)

It's interesting that a college would make contact so early given the fact the gymmie has 7 more years before college. That said, it's a great motivator for this talented kiddo and pretty cool validation for her hard work thus far.

Yes, we are shocked by the contact at this young of an age, but the more people I talk to the more they tell me "colleges are seeking out younger talent and contacting them earlier and earlier." While we are and were very excited about the letter we are taking it for what it is, I'm guessing that they just want to create some sort of file for her and will keep updated on her progress, but as of right now it really doesn't mean anything as so much can change between now and 2023 (when she will be a junior in high school). If nothing else it will be a great addition to her memory book!!!

Not going to lie, yes, I did start these things for DD in the hopes that she would get noticed, but I honestly didn't expect it to happen this soon. She hasn't even competed in any "big" events yet (except for regionals), so I was surprised that she was even being looked at.

I'm curious, does paying money for a profile on Chalk Warrior accomplish anything? Are they selective, or are they simply taking the money and putting anyone that pays up there?

Not going to lie, yes, I did start these things for DD in the hopes that she would get noticed, but I honestly didn't expect it to happen this soon. She hasn't even competed in any "big" events yet (except for regionals), so I was surprised that she was even being looked at.
am guessing that the mailings are going out in "mass" to a lot of the hopes/young 9s/10s - cast a huge net at an early age and you are bound to get a few who bite and will commit super early. But yes, it mainly is to open a file to keep an eye on them. Same thing happens on the academic side - just not as early

am guessing that the mailings are going out in "mass" to a lot of the hopes/young 9s/10s - cast a huge net at an early age and you are bound to get a few who bite and will commit super early. But yes, it mainly is to open a file to keep an eye on them. Same thing happens on the academic side - just not as early

My son started getting letters in 8th grade after he scored high on PSAT. I didn't think too much of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back