Parents Repeat or Not Necessary?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
And our gym recently acquired about 75 new gymnasts who apparently only compete at meets on the other side odd the country. We would love to meet these girls someday.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

And our gym recently acquired about 75 new gymnasts who apparently only compete at meets on the other side odd the country. We would love to meet these girls someday.
Gotta love when that happens! Do the gyms have similar names? I have seen same named girls having mixed up scoring. Dd is listed under several different spellings, both first and last name, so her scores don't all show up in one place. And she has a few scores that are inaccurate or not there at all but I assume this is an error on the meet host not sending correct info.

My meet scores only lists about 1/3 of the meets Dd's team competes at. Many girls are listed under several different name spellings. Many of Dd's scores are incorrect. It's a fun site but I do not take the info for any gym to be accurate or comprehensive at all.

Gotta love when that happens! Do the gyms have similar names? I have seen same named girls having mixed up scoring. Dd is listed under several different spellings, both first and last name, so her scores don't all show up in one place. And she has a few scores that are inaccurate or not there at all but I assume this is an error on the meet host not sending correct info.

not even close to having the same names. Lol

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

OK guys. We all get it My Meet Scores is very inaccurate but this thread has also gone off base. Either start a different thread or get back to something relating the Original Post please.

Am I right that your daughter has only been to two practices at the new gym?? If so, I think you are fretting unnecessarily. Give her time to settle in, give the coaches a chance to get to know her, and let them use their professional judgment. I would guess there's going to be some extra flux in the system this year anyway with the level changes coming up. Have the clinics for the new compulsory levels even happened yet?

From what I can gather from the OP, her daughter had a great level 4 season (scores in the 36-7 range) , moved gyms but wasn't moved up a level....but doesn't have her kip either ...AND that in a nutshell, would be my guess as to why she hasn't been moved up because the kip is the total gatekeeper for Level 5 (or new level 4).

(1) Some gyms will always be training L4 while competing L3 with those girls. THEY WANT THE WIN BAD so they make them have all their skills BEFORE entering that level. Consider it what you will. A win in compulsory levels plus 25 cents will buy the gymnast a gumball and a nice steak dinner, but the gym can see it as a marketing benefit and an advertisement for their rec and competitive programs.

(2) They can kip now in L3. I think encouraging the gyms to start kip training in L3 before it is required will help with this issue of the kip gateway to progress. Good.

(3) At some point you have to stop being concerned about repeating levels. Now L4 does not really seem the place to do it, but if you are going to have a happy relationship with the gym overall, and they repeat her in new-L3, just suck that up and the chances are that because of the repeat, there is some level she WON'T repeat later.

We are sort of in the same situation. DS is hopeful he won't be repeating but has been warned it is possible. Due to some severe coaching issues, some of his skills will require remediation.

(1) the chances are that because of the repeat, there is some level she WON'T repeat later.

This has been my experience too. It sounds like this team does a good job of uptraining, so your DD will be challenged regardless of her level. Let us know how it all shakes out!

How about talking to the coach and see what their plan is for your DD. Bring up your concerns and get some answers from the horses mouth instead of assuming what they are maybe going to do. Let them know what you were hoping for and see if your DD is ready for what they have planned. It's would be really hard for me to make any decisions without talking to those that make the decisions.

I really appreciate everyone's input here! The coach and I talked and she thinks that my daughter will be just fine competing the new L4. She now has everything she needs except her kip. She will stay with the girls repeating Level 4 next season (in Level 3) until the summer schedule starts in 4 weeks so that she has time to get her kip, which they seem confident she will. Then she will move up in hours and start working out with the "new" Level 4's from there on out. So it seems that all is well and she is responding very well to being challenged with new skills. Most of all, she is excited to be doing new stuff! For the person who asked, she is 8. Thanks again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back