rhythm deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
When do judged take a rhythm deduction on beam and for what would cause them to take this deduction?

We have an up to .4 overall rhythm deduction. During an exercise we will take note when the rhythm is off and then at the end we look back and determine the amount of the deduction. Typically when a gymnast is overtime and it doesn't come from big wobbles, I'll take at least a .1 in rhythm (in addition to the chief judge .1 overtime deduction), since that is a good indication the rhythm of the exercise was slower than it is supposed to be. I'm answering this assuming the question is about L3-6.

I typically see rhythm problems during the dance after the leap, the ole pose to fish pose, the pose right before the jumps into the jumps (I call it the pee pose), the dance right after the jumps into the scale, and the bow into the dismount. The book it pretty specific about the type of rhythm we are looking for, so those are when the deductions come into play.

Rhythm deductions also come into play when a gymnast forgets her routine and is standing on the beam kind of shifting her weight from one foot to the other. I'll typically take a rhythm deduction in those instances as the rhythm of the routine has been interrupted. I see that a lot in L3 and 4.

But, to be honest, a routine has to be really, really "off" to have the entire .4 taken.

Last edited:
geesh...and i thought it was for doing a lousy moonwalk. no wonder my wife tells me to stay away from beam.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News