Parents Safe Sport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Reaction score
I wanted to share this here, although I think many of us know about it. The Safe Sport Policies take effect on 1.1.18, and member clubs are to show they are following them. As parents, I think it is important for us to know them, and encourage our clubs and coaches to follow them. We can help protect our children, our coaches, and the sport!!!

this website has the policy, education, reporting procedures, etc.

https://usagym.org/pages/education/safesport/

I agree. But, parents need to do more than just encourage. We must insist on these policies being followed and use our pocketbooks to ensure that clubs that don't feel the pressure. I know there are parents at DD's gym and here on CB who will likely not change and allow their children to be one with coaches that they trust.

Sports, Scouts and other organizations have managed to make 2 deep leadership with for years and, in some cases, decades. Is it more convenient to have the coach drive a child home or travel with them to a meet? It sure can be, but it is the price we need to be willing to pay to protect our kids.

I agree. But, parents need to do more than just encourage. We must insist on these policies being followed and use our pocketbooks to ensure that clubs that don't feel the pressure. I know there are parents at DD's gym and here on CB who will likely not change and allow their children to be one with coaches that they trust.

Sports, Scouts and other organizations have managed to make 2 deep leadership with for years and, in some cases, decades. Is it more convenient to have the coach drive a child home or travel with them to a meet? It sure can be, but it is the price we need to be willing to pay to protect our kids.

I agree on all points! Violations can be reported by anyone...coaches, judges, other parents. In that case, it can affect everyone with a loss of standign with USAG. I hope that parents can help drive this change. We have to!

The parents have to be part of the cultural change in the organization for this to work. It would also be useful, though, if the most visible clubs stepped up and took some leadership on this. The big ones with elite programs have the most to gain from a strong, stable USAG. They have the resources to develop best practices and then bring those programs to the congresses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back