Parents School exemptions such as PE or language, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our school doesn't officially allow skipping PE but I have found the guidance counsellor to be very understanding. Both my girls have been able to opt out of PE. My dancer was allowed to opt on on medical terms as she has a condition that's aggravated by running (plantar fasciitis) and our school district mandates frequent long distance running in PE. She was given other electives instead. Now, in 8th grade, she is opting out on base of physical activity after school for X hours. This is allowed in our school district from grade 8, but not earlier.
My gymmie (6th grader) is going to be an office aid this semester instead of PE. The school is over capacity and there weren't any electives with openings, so they created a spot for her. I simply went in a few months ago and spoke to the guidance counsellor and asked what we could do based on the fact that she does so much physical activity already and so many kids are getting hurt in PE. We had a girl on our team break her elbow in PE, now out for the season. I told her how many hours my kid works out every day and how serious she is about her sport, and how unfortunate it would be if she were to get injured uneccessarily doing PE when she already gets plenty of exercise. I understand accidents can and do happen any place, any time, but why add that risky element right at competition season..? She was very understanding and I'm very thankful for it!!!

Some of you are making me feel super jealous!

My kids' school district (K-8) does not permit any official exemptions. Even if either kid was the second coming of Michael Phelps.

They believe that children benefit from a well-rounded education, so they hold firm. They even go out of their way to encourage multi-sport athletes - they award trophies and hold a small, quick ceremony for students who participate in at least 3 sports. Apparently, they're supporting the research that states it's less healthy to specialize young.

Last year, when DD was in 5th grade, they allowed her to dismiss 25 min early to make practice, but we were responsible for all missed content. This year, my son is NOT allowed to miss regularly for practice, though he's now in her old school.

Thank you Profmom....I wish I could like your post more than once! It is so true, my almost 8 yo left school today beaming because a bunch of the sport boys were talking about her. At dismissal I witnessed the ring leader approach her and congratulate her, he then announced to a group of boys that she did the most pull ups out of anyone in the two phys ed classes. She was so excited because her non gymmie friends got to see her in action. When we were alone in the car she told me she could have kept going but the teacher made her stop. :)

I do agree with Profmom, it is hard to get everything to work but today it was so well worth it.

How many times per week does your kids' school have PE? For us it's just twice per week so an exception wouldn't be a huge deal.

My daughter attended Royal Winnipeg Ballet School and took elementary classes through public school. She had ballet 6 days a week and was exempt from PE due to both the physical activity she was doing and the risk of injury! That being said, her ballet classes were during school hours...

Our public middle schools allow for PE exemption if a student/athlete has a certain amount of practice hours per week (sorry, I'm not sure how many hours) and they also allow the student to leave school an hour early (PE is scheduled last hour for athletes). You said your principal asked for examples of what other schools do? You can look up public school board websites, it should all be on there what the policies are for athletes and PE exemptions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back