Parents School & gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you guys balance it? Especially with those of you whose daughters or sons are training 16+ hours per week.

Belle's gym is an hour from our house & she trains 16-18 hours/ week; four weekdays & 1 weekend day. Last year I pulled her out of school 30 minutes early on gym days, which wasn't a huge deal, she does extremely well in school. This year though my younger daughter will be in kindergarten & I'm guessing school will be a little more difficult for Belle.

I guess I'm just looking for support? :confused:

We home school, which makes it a lot easier for us but it still is a struggle. DD goes 4days 4hrs each - no weekend days. we have two other children involved in other activities too so we are constantly on the move. I don't see a problem pulling your children out 30 minutes early. The last 300 minutes in grade school is pretty much pack up time and wait around for bus/carpool, etc. Middle school would be very different she's not there yet, right? As for homework, the car ride is the perfect place for it. Yes, it is going to be messier but at least it gets done. It's also a great time to practice extras like spelling, math facts, catching up on reading, and just connecting with your dd. even though we are at home all day, we still have the problems with dinner and all. DD usually has a good snack on the way to gym and then I bring her dinner for the ride back so that when she gets home she can shower and get to bed. It works for us.

How do you guys balance it? Especially with those of you whose daughters or sons are training 16+ hours per week.

Belle's gym is an hour from our house & she trains 16-18 hours/ week; four weekdays & 1 weekend day. Last year I pulled her out of school 30 minutes early on gym days, which wasn't a huge deal, she does extremely well in school. This year though my younger daughter will be in kindergarten & I'm guessing school will be a little more difficult for Belle.

I guess I'm just looking for support? :confused:

To tell you the truth I haven't a clue how we do it. My DD is 18 hr + a week and during school the hours don't go down we have a good 30 - 40 min drive to the gym so she may do some then and on the way home but that is a rarity. She is a straight "A" student and she has learned how to manage her time so all her homework, projects etc get done. I almost never see her do any homework but she gets it done. Usually she will bring what ever homework she can finish to lunch period and to recess. then on the bus ride home she will work on homework. I think last year she may have taken 5 days total out of gym to work on some of the projects. Also in class they give the last 10 - 15 min to start the homework that way if anyone is having any trouble the teacher knows it before they go home.

Not sure how this year will go as it is her first year in Public School and its a High School at that. It will be a big adjustment over all. No more uniforms. about 1500 kids per grade level (compared to the 20 kids total in her 8th grade class) and probably more homework than she is use to. But our rule here is School work always comes first and she knows this so if she wants to get to gym she knows she will have to use her spare time wisely. She does have an hour long lunch/study peirod during each day so I am hoping she will try to get as much done as she can during that time. We will see.

Just let her know that school work will always come first so if she loves gymnastics she will have to find the time during school, the bus ride home, the travel back and forth to the gym etc to get the work done.

Oh I almost forgot I do talk to the teachers and let them know my DD is a competitive gymnast. I also give them the hours she should be in the gym and ask if we could get the homework that is planned to be given that week on Mon or Tues. DD has Wed and Sun without gym so we work to get as much of it done as we can on those days. Most teachers when you get to the level that they have more than one teacher are very understanding and will work with the schedule but you will run into some that are.. well lets just say less sympathetic. Grades up to 3rd grade for us just had one teacher and they have always been willing to work with us. When she went to 4 - 8 grade she had various teachers for the subjects and only 2 of them didn't care and weren't willing to work with her.

Somehow it all works out especially if your DD really want to do gymnastics

We home school, which makes it a lot easier for us but it still is a struggle. DD goes 4days 4hrs each - no weekend days. we have two other children involved in other activities too so we are constantly on the move. I don't see a problem pulling your children out 30 minutes early. The last 300 minutes in grade school is pretty much pack up time and wait around for bus/carpool, etc. Middle school would be very different she's not there yet, right? As for homework, the car ride is the perfect place for it. Yes, it is going to be messier but at least it gets done. It's also a great time to practice extras like spelling, math facts, catching up on reading, and just connecting with your dd. even though we are at home all day, we still have the problems with dinner and all. DD usually has a good snack on the way to gym and then I bring her dinner for the ride back so that when she gets home she can shower and get to bed. It works for us.

Thank you for your response. She is only entering 3rd grade, 8 years old. It's tough because there aren't a lot of other kids who have a schedule like her, even the kids that she's in the gym with because most of them are older & they live in town. We have definitely considered homeschooling, it's kind of intimidating though :). I'm a stay at home mom, so it's doable, but still scary. Why can't parenting come with a manual!?!?

@Cher, thank you too for your response. It's so nice to hear that other moms/parents are going through the same though processes. She did the whole homework in the car routine last year too, and it worked out fine, but I think I just let my worrying get the best of me. :)

I think I may try getting school work ahead of time this year. Hopefully her school will be receptive to it.

I forgot to mention trying to get the assignments the friday before. that way you have the weekend to get it all done and don't have to worry about it during the week. I know a few parents in our gym have done that. I'm coming from a different viewpoint because we homeschool but frankly, I don't believe in much homework. I believe that schoolwork should be done in school and not spill over to home. I understand that a certain amount of review is necessary but I also know that a lot of homework is just useless for most kids. Especially in the lower grades.

but it is also sounding like you are talking about just time to do other things in general. I know some parents have their girls change into their PJ's at the gym and eat in the car so that they can just go straight to bed when they get home. With you having such a long drive, this might be a good plan.

Thanks for posting this! My DD is just starting team and is only there 2 hours twice a week plus Saturday optional. Honestly the time commitment was one of the things I most worried about as she moves to higher levels. She struggles with spelling and reading. I agree that school should come first, but what do you do when gymnastics is her gift and academics is not? Obviously, for the long haul reading and math are most important but I hate to keep her out of team when it is her dream. She has ADD and I also believe that the physical activity and discipline this sport provides is a very effective treatment. Just hearing that others have the same worries helps.

It definitly is a life style and her closest friends will be gym friends if she keep with this. There are alot of out side of gymnastic things she will miss as she moves forward and the practice time gets more hours but you are the mom so if she misses here and there a few times a year its not a big deal.

Usually its School first, gymnastics second, then I try to schedule all other activities in the few days she has free. she does Piano and scouts, she does go to a few b-day parties but not as many as the other kids. We do have sleepovers here when she has time off and we let her go to a few during the year but we try not to do it during the competition months if wew can. We take 2 weeks off in the summer for her to go to camp One is Scout camp which my son husband and I also attend (we are leaders who have the time to take a week off and gor and son is a scout too) so we all get to go. The other week she usually goes to gymnastic camp not because we force her to go but because she beggs us to go. This year in the morning from 8 - 12 she will also do cullinary Camp at a local cooking school in the area that has a teens program. She thinks she wants to be a chef so I figured this would be a good way for her to figure that out. But for her Gymnastics is IT and she will give up just about anything to do it.

Sounds like a busy schedule but somehow she does it and loves everything she does. As you go on you will see that most Team kids are also Honor Roll Kids. Every kid on my daughters team is either Honor Roll or like my DD Highest Honors. I think it comes with being a gymnast. You need a certain type of kid to do this.

Ok, my dd has been in gymnastics since k so, I think I have some tips. First, keep a clip board, snacks, and some basic school supplies in car( i.e. paper, pencils, etc.) Second, if possible, ask for a homework packet. This works for elementary school. Just ask if you can have all the homework for the week on Monday and have it turned in by Friday. That way they can work on it in their spare time. Third, in middle school, some classes give 2 sets of textbooks. Keep 2nd set in car. Fourth, be flexible and realize that there is some down time and be prepared to take advantage of it. Fifth, NO TV DURING THE WEEK! Sixth, prepare as much of the next day(i.e. lunch, clothes assignments, etc.) the night before. Good Luck! My dd is a straight A kid and does get every award. She is a level 8 and works hard, but I don't think if we were not prepared she would do as well.

If you are thinking homeschooling....think virtual school. It takes all the scary out of it! K12 has virtual school in most states and it is FREEEEE! I did this with 3 kids for 2 years and loved it. I was scared to homeschool and mess them up but this is fool proof! My dd has not had a full day of school since she was in 3rd grade and she is a junior now...She still maintains a 4.0. She rarely has homework and she takes Honors classes. They are very driven kids and they learn early how to manage their time. My best advice is take each year one at a time. Don't try to plan for high school while they are still in 3rd grade, solutions will come along!

Ok, my dd has been in gymnastics since k so, I think I have some tips. First, keep a clip board, snacks, and some basic school supplies in car( i.e. paper, pencils, etc.) Second, if possible, ask for a homework packet. This works for elementary school. Just ask if you can have all the homework for the week on Monday and have it turned in by Friday. That way they can work on it in their spare time. Third, in middle school, some classes give 2 sets of textbooks. Keep 2nd set in car. Fourth, be flexible and realize that there is some down time and be prepared to take advantage of it. Fifth, NO TV DURING THE WEEK! Sixth, prepare as much of the next day(i.e. lunch, clothes assignments, etc.) the night before. Good Luck! My dd is a straight A kid and does get every award. She is a level 8 and works hard, but I don't think if we were not prepared she would do as well.

The clipboard, snacks & supplies are great ideas! There were way too many times I relied on her last year to remember pencils & she would inevitably forget causing unneeded stress on both of us. I am definitely going to have to ask about homework ahead of time, again, I really really really hope her school is receptive to it.

If you are thinking homeschooling....think virtual school. It takes all the scary out of it! K12 has virtual school in most states and it is FREEEEE! I did this with 3 kids for 2 years and loved it. I was scared to homeschool and mess them up but this is fool proof! My dd has not had a full day of school since she was in 3rd grade and she is a junior now...She still maintains a 4.0. She rarely has homework and she takes Honors classes. They are very driven kids and they learn early how to manage their time. My best advice is take each year one at a time. Don't try to plan for high school while they are still in 3rd grade, solutions will come along!

Thank you, I think I really needed to hear that.
I have heard that virtual school can be a good alternative, it will definitely be something I will consider if this year seems too stressful.

The clipboard, snacks & supplies are great ideas! There were way too many times I relied on her last year to remember pencils & she would inevitably forget causing unneeded stress on both of us. I am definitely going to have to ask about homework ahead of time, again, I really really really hope her school is receptive to it.

We do that too - get a plastic bin to keep all that stuff in. one that might fit under the seats if you have that room under your seats (we have a mini van that has room under the seats so our bin is always there ready to go.) second crayons melt in the car (learnde that one the hard way) markers, or colored pencils are better. "Black Pearl" erasers are the best they erase without tearing up the paper (you can find them at Staples - they are black and oval) Homework in the car usually gets alot of erasing.

Also in the bin we have a small collection of prepackaged snacks so we are prepared there too.

Thank you for your response. She is only entering 3rd grade, 8 years old. It's tough because there aren't a lot of other kids who have a schedule like her, even the kids that she's in the gym with because most of them are older & they live in town. We have definitely considered homeschooling, it's kind of intimidating though :). I'm a stay at home mom, so it's doable, but still scary. Why can't parenting come with a manual!?!?

a what? a parenting manual?? LOL! think of the $$$ to be had with a published one size fits all parenting manual...:)

This thread has tons of great information! Thanks everyone. My DD started 1st grade this week and just started L3 team so I was definitely looking for suggestions for balancing school and gym. I'm headed to Walmart now to get my clipboard and car supplies, lol. :)

If you are thinking homeschooling....think virtual school. It takes all the scary out of it! K12 has virtual school in most states and it is FREEEEE!

It's only free in certain states that have public schools using it. In NC, it is available only through private and is pretty expensive (around $5000). I have three kids so $15k is way out of our league. BUT if you are in a state that offers it free, then it's definitely worth looking into. Researching it, I found it too much like real school - too structured. But that's just a difference in personalities. A lot of families love that type of structure.

blessed4x - you just have to come up with the right balance for your dd. Yes, math and reading come first but if gymnastics is her passion then you are right, she needs to be able to experience it too. This will give her more confidence and motivation which will transfer to the academics eventually.

I am definitely going to have to ask about homework ahead of time, again, I really really really hope her school is receptive to it.

Just don't take no for an answer. Seriously. School is school and should not spill over to home time. If it does, then they should provide a reasonable plan to fit home life. If the teacher is not willing to do this, go to the principal and explain your situation. Obviously school is important - that's why you send her for 7+ hours a day 5 days a week. But gymnastics is just as important to her and she has real talent. Just tell them you don't mind the homework but you need a more lenient schedule for when it is done. And if they still aren't willing to work with you, you're just going to have decide to what extent you want to fight it. Personally, I would just start picking and choosing what to complete based on what dd needs review on. For instance, I certainly wouldn't make her waste 20 min writing sentences for her spelling words when she can just study the words for 5 minutes and during more opportune times, like while she's taking her shower. This might mean her grade suffers a little but the reality is that homework is rarely a huge part of the grade in the lower grades.

as for the clipboard, we bought the one that contractors use. they are plastic rectangle boxes with a calculator on top. you can store paper, pens, pencils, etc inside them. They are more durable than the thin clipboards and offers the added storage.

Just don't take no for an answer. Seriously. School is school and should not spill over to home time. If it does, then they should provide a reasonable plan to fit home life. If the teacher is not willing to do this, go to the principal and explain your situation. Obviously school is important - that's why you send her for 7+ hours a day 5 days a week. But gymnastics is just as important to her and she has real talent. Just tell them you don't mind the homework but you need a more lenient schedule for when it is done. And if they still aren't willing to work with you, you're just going to have decide to what extent you want to fight it. Personally, I would just start picking and choosing what to complete based on what dd needs review on. For instance, I certainly wouldn't make her waste 20 min writing sentences for her spelling words when she can just study the words for 5 minutes and during more opportune times, like while she's taking her shower. This might mean her grade suffers a little but the reality is that homework is rarely a huge part of the grade in the lower grades.

This is awesome advice, thank you. Sometimes it's hard to remember that bottom line, these are our decisions to make.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back