Second Meet Ups and Downs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
Well, we survived a marathon of a meet today. Some things went really well and some not so good.

Her bar routine was greatly improved (8.8 up from 7.9 last meet). She always forgets to do the stride supports before and after her mill circle so that one important improvement will make a huge difference next time.

She had two legitimate vaults, remembered to present and improved her score, so good day here.

There was a lot of extra waiting around and being shuffled from place to place, kind of chaotic, but with lots of waiting around so as the meet wore on you could tell she was losing her focus. Beam went ok, no falls, but she just looked a little tentative and that showed in her score.

I'm not sure what happened on floor. It looked pretty much like the last one she did and she ended up with a very low score. Very disappointing for her as she felt like it was even a little better than last time.

But, it gave us the opportunity to talk about subjective judging and only worrying about what you can control. She was talking about her goal of improving each of her scores last night and I encouraged her to make goals about skill improvement. I was glad we had that discussion last night as she felt she met each of her skill improvement goals and left feeling really good about the day.

Glad to hear that her vault and bars went well! i bet she will get 'em next time on floor and beam. I hate when the meet goes long and you can start seeing the girls drifting off! lol It's tough! My main concern is this though, why in the world did you have to go to a meet on a Thursday?!?!?! lol!

Some of the best lessons DD has learned is when she's had an "off" meet. Glad to hear that your daughter had improvement on several events!

Good for her for improving on bars and vault! She should be very proud! Great to hear that she felt good about meeting her goals :)

I also see DD getting very distracted towards the middle of meets and losing her focus (which is not one of her strong points to begin with). I am hoping it gets better for her with experience and age ;) My DD had her lowest scoring meet of the season yesterday. Just goes to show that judging is SO subjective, as I thought she had some real improvement in some places.

Glad she had a good day :)

WTG to your DD for having a pretty darn good meet. Making improvements and meeting her personal goals. Judging can be so subjective. It's tough not to scratch your head sometimes. But like you said it is out of her control. And you have the right idea. Just work towards things she can control.

Great job! There are so many life lessons for them to learn at such a young age and really many of these complexities are too much to explain to an adult much less a child. At least she can feel good about her improvements. Congrats.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back