Parents Seeking gym with strong competitive training in MA or NYC area

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

GymMomVT

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

My daughter just started gymnastics. She’s 5. She loves it. Taking two classes a week recreationally at the best gym in our state, with an additional ballet class at a good studio. We are really happy with how this gym places in regionals and nationals and we are very happy with how they safeguard the well-being of the athletes who train at this gym at all levels. They do a lot of trampoline work and air sense work at younger ages, while bones are still growing, and have a good, competitive amount of hours that their women’s developmental teams train per week.

I don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but we are looking to move in the next year to a completely different state, either MA or NYC/Manhattan/Upper East Side. I want to give my daughter a smooth transition into a gymnastics program that also safeguards young athletes joints and bones, while putting them on the track for a strong developmental program that might even lead to a good college career in gymnastics. Ideally, I’d be looking for a place that doesn’t train their gymnasts more than three hours a day and does a lot of trampoline work at the early ages.

I’ve heard good things about Brestyan’s in MA, but since it was sold and became Beyond Gymnastics I haven’t really gotten any new information about it. I’ve also heard good things about Gotham Gymnastics and Chelsea Piers in NYC although they’re pretty far away from the area that we’d like to live. Commuting is not really a problem as my kids are homeschooled and we have a very flexible schedule with two parents that stay at home or work from home.

I’d welcome your thoughts, and while I understand it’s a marathon not as spent knowledge is power and getting more information is always a good thing.

Thank you.

I've heard some mixed things about Brestyan's since the ownership change. I know some level 8-10 gymnasts who switched to RGA or Yellowjackets since the change.

Still, it might be worth a visit and chat with the gym, if you end up in the Boston area, it's possible that there were some growing pains with the transition and things are starting to settle.

Keep in mind, if you move to the Boston area, my main concern would be the housing market, and once you have a home, then figure out a gym. Commuting here can be a nightmare, and you will need to drive since all of the gyms are in the suburbs. For example, if you decided to live on the south shore, getting your kid to and from Brestyan's would be at least an hour and change each way on a good day.

There are so many options though - Western Mass, Yellow Jackets, RGA, MEGA, Sterling, MetroSouth, ect. you will likely find a solid gym in mass within reasonable driving distance if you end up in the Boston metro area.

Happy to chat via DM on the experience with my daughter's current gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back