WAG Sewing your own leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

wizzie

Does anyone have tips for making your own leos? I do not have a serger, but my sewing machine has an overlock stitch. Thanks!

I make my own leos' Started just for my daughter then turned into a great business. started with just a sewing machine then progressed to serger. It is very nice but takes awhile to get the hang of it :) took me about 6 months till I felt 100% confident with them :)

I make mine - the first I did with a sewing machine on overlock, then I bought a serger. I ended up making about 100 for the gym club so it was worth my while. I would highly recommended the Jalie patterns - top notch.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I did read that whole thread, it was quite helpful. Margo, your leotards were amazing!

Do you guys put any elastic in the parts around the legs and arms?

Thanks whizzie, I used elastic on the legs but just bound the arm seams. It helps not to be too tight round the under arm

Don't know of I posted this one last time but this is pink and fluffy's latest favourite . (On right) scuse funny Looking faces but I have tried to pixelate them

Margo, I can't see the picture. Will you please post it again? Thanks!

Hmmm can't seem to get it in from the tablet - will try from photobucket

egirls_zps10e80dc1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've been interested in making my own leos too. Just have no idea where to get the fabric :confused:, without buying 30 yards.

That is so cute!

I too would like to know places where you get your fabric.

And how do you guys go about washing and drying the leos you make?

We wash and dry it with all reagular clothes but it depends on the fabric some I make has glitter or sequins or special instructions when you buy the fabric it tells you

I get mine online from fabric warehouses. Depends on fabric, but the killer is detergent and heat. I recommended hand washing in cold water with no detergent. I always add a cotton guset to my leos (and an amazed most bought ones don't have one) as dd and most of her team mates Do not wear pants. I wash that with a little pure soap.

On and never tumble dry - kills mystique.

Thank you!

How do you sew your designs on? Do you sew them right on top of the leo, or do you cut out a rough shape of the design in the body and then sew it on it while it's inside out?

I appliqué the design onto the plain leo with a zigzag stitch (to allow for stretch). Top tip here, spray appliqué with spray adhesive on the reverse ( I use 3M) before applying, holds much better than pins.

If I was to do a design like this

Epitome%20pic.jpg

I would cut and stitch.

'Margo

As you can probably tell from my moniker, I make lots of leotards. All the places I get my fabric from are in Australia, so they're not going to be any help to you! I use a Jalie pattern as a base and make all sorts of changes to the design, still keeping the same fit.

When I do applique, rather than using the spray adhesive idea, I cut my shapes out and carefully position them, then adhere "tearaway" over the top, with at least 1-2 inches around the edges of the shapes. I pin around the edges of the tearaway so that it doesn't lift at all. With the tearaway in place, I can easily zig zag over the edge of the shapes to hold them in place.

After stitching, the tearaway tears away (what a surprise!). It means there is no glue anywhere, which means I don't have to worry about making a mess (which I am sure I would if I used spray glue!) and the fabric continues to stretch properly.

I use elastic in the legholes and armholes. I use it around the neck unless I am using a contrasting binding.

For sewing up, I only have a sewing machine, so use Jalie's suggested method. Using a seam allowance of 1/4in / 6mm, I use a wide zig zag extending over the edge of the two layers of fabric. Then I use a straight stitch to stitch the seams, making sure the fabric is stretched to its full extent as I stitch - REALLY important! It works well, is neat, and still allows full stretch.

Happy to answer any questions you may have. As an encouragement, I find sewing with lycra really easy, and very forgiving!

Added later: On posting this, I then found the word "leotard" in the first sentence became a link. I did not put the link there, nor do I want it there... :-(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back