Parents Sore tailbone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
Anyone else's gymmie had a sore tailbone without any obvious reasons such as a fall? Seems to have occurred after vault and/or handstand pop drills on floor. It's not excruciating pain or anything. Just tender. I made her stay home yesterday just in case. Just curious on if others have had this issue. No medical advice needed. Will for sure take her to doc if ongoing issues.

Yes, it's happened to my DD once before where it was sore for no obvious reason. I remember thinking that she likely landed hard on her bottom but the fall didn't register as a 'bad' one to her.

That can be a sign of stress on her back and could lead to stress fractures. It happened to my daughter and she is going to miss this competition season.
Have her checked by someone who is a sports doctor.
Has she been doing a lot of drills requiring back bends. Our daughter was doing aerials on the beam and the coach had her do 25 in a row.

My DD has this and has for at least half a year. It started with a few bad front tucks I think; but now is exacerbated by V ups, sit ups, etc. She is in PT for other issues and has seen the sports orthopedist. At this point it is just bruised. She has practically no tush, so any of the conditioning that involves sitting sort of on her butt hurts. The doctor mentioned trying a donut pillow when doing those exercises; but DD refuses. I guess it doesn't hurt THAT bad.:rolleyes:

Seems better today per her and it's not affecting practices.. But think I will get her checked out just in case

Get it checked but be aware. Sore/ bruised tail bones can take a very long time to completely heal. We use our behinds too much to completely rest it and there is no way to sling it, tape it cast it or heal it faster.

Get it checked but be aware. Sore/ bruised tail bones can take a very long time to completely heal. We use our behinds too much to completely rest it and there is no way to sling it, tape it cast it or heal it faster.

Yep. I bruised mine (in childbirth, ugh) and it took nearly a year to fully heal.

One of my gymnasts had sore tailbone last summer. At least she described the pain like that. At first it only hurt when she did walkovers but then it started to bug her on other skills also. I asked her to go to see a doctor. It turned out she had pre spondylolysis (can't find the right English term right now, do you get what I mean :confused:). She had to take 8 weeks off (just conditioning and some bars). She's better now.

I don't want to scare you, but if it doesn't go away soon I would see a doctor, just in case.

This is what I hear from others too. [emoji37]

One of my gymnasts had sore tailbone last summer. At least she described the pain like that. At first it only hurt when she did walkovers but then it started to bug her on other skills also. I asked her to go to see a doctor. It turned out she had pre spondylolysis (can't find the right English term right now, do you get what I mean :confused:). She had to take 8 weeks off (just conditioning and some bars). She's better now.

I don't want to scare you, but if it doesn't go away soon I would see a doctor, just in case.
Thank you. Good to know. I had Google this and read of similar cases. Definitely keeping an eye on it. She's 13 and past the major growth spurt by 2 years but still leary

Thank you. Good to know. I had Google this and read of similar cases. Definitely keeping an eye on it. She's 13 and past the major growth spurt by 2 years but still leary
This is not a growth (or growth plate) issue, they are saying it could be a sign of a stress fracture in her back. If the pain continues, get it checked out.

This is not a growth (or growth plate) issue, they are saying it could be a sign of a stress fracture in her back. If the pain continues, get it checked out.
Gotcha. I thought the spondio stuff someone mentioned hit at earlier ages. But stress fracture I do know definitely can be any age. Will get her checked out for sure if the pain continues. Thank you!

Sorry just saw this- her pain lasted YEARS. Like 2 years before I took her to the chiropractor and it got better. It still tends to want to rotate so she has to go back for maintenance. I had taken her to her dr. to get an MRI, everything else I could think of

When she says her tailbone hurts where does she point to? Where is her painactuakky is it her tip bone or higher?

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back