Sorry-sort of venting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, so if you read my post about the mental block with my ROBHS then you know that I got it about a year ago and have been doing them for 11 months with no problems or hesitations at all. Then I had a tired moment and fell. Well now it's like my body forgot how to do it and I have spent over a month now getting more and more frustrated. At practices I just stop after the roundoff and do a standing BHS. Well I did about 10 standing BHS at practice on Thursday with no problem and then today I just couldn't get myself to even do one standing. It's like I forgot how to do it. I have several meets coming up and I need to be able to do it but it just keeps getting worse. I know I am totally capable of doing theses skills but there's something in my brain stopping me. Does anyone have any ideas or words of wisdom about this. I know a lot of gymnasts go through these blocks but I am the only one at my gym who has them. I have had blocks before and they always take about 5 months for me to get the skill back. I can't afford to take 5 months this time though. Sorry this post was kind of venting but I am just so discouraged I don't know what to do. Sometimes I feel like quitting but I love gymnastics so much. I just feel like I am getting worse at it and making no progress at all.

i'm really sorry to hear that. i know exactly how you feel.

try getting a coach to spot you a few times, then think of what your signature says... "I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me."

"all things" includes a round off back hand spring. it includes giants, yurchenkos, back hand spring layouts on beam, everything. your body knows what it's doing, you just have to let your brain relax. picture yourself in your mind over and over doing it, and soon enough, you'll be doing them in your sleep. i'll be praying for you! good luck!!

Thanks a lot. I know I really need to apply those words I can do everything through CHRIST who strengthens me. But it's easier said than done. Thanks so much for praying for me. That means a lot.

You're welcome :)
And yes, it is easier said than done. It's not our natural instinct to be all brave because we have Jesus. It's much easier to balk and be scared. You have to be constantly training your mind to remember that God has given you a talent in the sport you're in. I experienced this for about a year with my back hand spring on beam. My coaches knew I had it, I knew I had it, and of course God knew I had it! But I was so dang scared of jumping backwards. But I had done it before by myself!! Then, I got into this habbit, first with a coach, of saying a little prayer before I do back hand springs. Before every single one, I'd say "God, I know you're there and can help me with this. Help me not be scared." And sure enough, the time came when the coach said to do it my myself. And I was terrified. I started crying (again), but then I remembered to say that little prayer. I said it over and over again, and I finally threw it. Now I don't really have problems anymore with those. But when I'm having a bad day on beam, I just stop, get off the beam, and pray right there, and it helps a lot. So whenever you're having one of those practices nobody wants to have, just stop there and pray for strength. And with faith, you'll get it! Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

You're welcome :)
And yes, it is easier said than done. It's not our natural instinct to be all brave because we have Jesus. It's much easier to balk and be scared. You have to be constantly training your mind to remember that God has given you a talent in the sport you're in. I experienced this for about a year with my back hand spring on beam. My coaches knew I had it, I knew I had it, and of course God knew I had it! But I was so dang scared of jumping backwards. But I had done it before by myself!! Then, I got into this habbit, first with a coach, of saying a little prayer before I do back hand springs. Before every single one, I'd say "God, I know you're there and can help me with this. Help me not be scared." And sure enough, the time came when the coach said to do it my myself. And I was terrified. I started crying (again), but then I remembered to say that little prayer. I said it over and over again, and I finally threw it. Now I don't really have problems anymore with those. But when I'm having a bad day on beam, I just stop, get off the beam, and pray right there, and it helps a lot. So whenever you're having one of those practices nobody wants to have, just stop there and pray for strength. And with faith, you'll get it! Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

I love that verse! There are so many times in gymnastics that I just get so frustrated because I am so scared, but I just remember that God is with me and he will protect me. Even if I fall, He is still there with me. Just remember that the Lord will never leave you or forsake you. So no matter what you do, He is still there, supporting you. Just let Him be your rock and guide you.:) Good luck!

Thanks so much for that verse Joshua 1:9 too! What powerful words of comfort from God! I am going to memorize it so I can say it whenever I get discouraged. I know that if you overcame your fear of backhandsprings on the beam I can overcome my fear too. I just need to overcome it soon because I have a meet on January 17!

This is encouraging to me too!! :)

I have "John 16:33" sewn into my right tiger paw, and I'm probably gonna sew "Joshua 1:9" into the other when I get time haha it took forever! That's one of our gym's verses!

We should start a group for Christian gymnasts... if there's not already one... ha

Totally! Because being a Christian really helps you get through the hard parts of gymnastics. So I take it your gym is a Christian gym.? Ours isn't exactly a Christian gym but my coach is a strong Christian and most of the people if not all of the people on my team are Christians. So we always pray together at meets.

yeah. we are!
and our coach always prays for us before meets and stuff. and when our gym hosts a meet after the national anthem, she says a prayer. and her husband is an artist and painted all these pictures with verses on them and they're all over the walls!

and i dont know how you could survive gymnastics not being a Christian. it just doesnt make sense to me! what do you do when you're scared?

That is so cool! I bet having verses painted on the wall is a big help!
Just to give you an update on the ROBHS: My mom e-mailed my coach and asked her if I could have a private to try to get it back. Then last night with one of my other coaches, I was working on them with just a hurdle (no running or steps) right into the ROBHS. Lots of times I would just stop after the RO and have to go back and do it again. But we spent a lot of time on them and by the end of the night I had done about 20 connected ones. My coach would keep asking my "So now do you want to try it without me here,? because I'm not doing anything." For some reason I still couldn't make myself do it. Even though I know I can if I wasn't even getting a running start. I think I'll have it back soon, but I am not sure. Thanks to you for praying for me and if you don't mind doing it that would be great until I get it back. I also noticed John 16:33 in one of your posts, so I am going to use that verse too. Thanks so much!

Floorlover14

Just a quick reminder. We do not do religion, politics or s.e.x on the Chalkbucket as those issues have a way of alienating members and getting divisive. Gym is the tie that binds here so if you want to talk about your god please do it by pm or on another board.

Just a quick reminder. We do not do religion, politics or s.e.x on the Chalkbucket as those issues have a way of alienating members and getting divisive. Gym is the tie that binds here so if you want to talk about your god please do it by pm or on another board.

hey bog, the weather here is now officially as bad as it is by you.

so, would it be okay to let the posters know about the gym GODS? from greek times?

that they only help those that help themselves??:)

Update

Hey Everyone! Thanks to those of you who have encouraged me! I did have a private a couple of weeks ago and figured out that I could still do my standing BHS, so I probably did about 5 that night during practice! Also, my coach spotted me on several ROBHS's and there were a few where she basically just stood and watched. So I still haven't done it by myself but I don't hesitate or freak out about doing them anymore. At the last couple of practices though, I have not been able to do a standing BHS, it's like I lost the feeling. I have a meet next weekend so I am starting to get nervous again! Today at practics I still couldn't do the standing BHS but I did a bunch of really good ROBHS's with spot so I am just really hoping I get it back for next weekend!! Thanks to you all for listening!!:mad::):(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back