Squat on bars!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last session, the summer session of gymnastics, I got my squat on bars and then just jump to the ground on the LAST DAY of the session. I didn't jump to the high bar. I was so excited, but then over the break I lost it.

At first, when I came back from the fall session, I was terrified of it again. But after tripping on the bar, I realized that tripping on it isn't scary at all!!! So I wasn't scared anymore, but I still couldn't do it. They kept telling me to lean, and I tried, but I got so frustrated I even started tearing up sometimes.

Today was the last day of the fall session. I kept trying to get my squat on, and I was getting so frustrated. Everyone else in my group had it. They were going to start teaching us a level 5 bar routine, and if I still didn't have the squat on, I would look stupid, having to get a spot every time!

Then I developed a weird strategy that, surprisingly, worked. Instead of trying to land my feet straight on the bar, I first gently hit my knees on the bar and got back down. I kept doing this gradually farther on my leg, until I was hitting my shins, and then, my toes.

By now my friends were cheering so loud for me, since they knew how frustrated I got about not having a squat on while they all did, that the whole gym was looking at me, whether it be coach, beginner tumbling class, my pre-team group, or level 6 team.

And I cast as hard as possible and landed my feet straight on the bar. Before getting on the bar, I already decided that I should just jump straight down the first time, until I get the hang of standing up a bit on the bar to jump to high bar. But my body went into automatic jump mode, since usually I get spotted on a squat-on then I just jump to high. And so I stood up, grabbed the high bar perfectly, and performed 3 well-executed tap swings.

Everybody was cheering so loud for me! Like, when you get a back walkover, your coaches are just like "Yay" and you move on. But this was kind of a harder skill, and one of the major skills in level 5, and I HAVE IT NOW!!!!! It felt so great to have the support of the whole gym as I grabbed that high bar.

I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

It feels SO GREAT to get a skill back that you've lost for a while, doesn't it? xD

Now I just have to make sure I don't lose it over break! ;) But if I do, I can use my strange-but-effective plan I developed for myself!!!!! :D

Congratulations! A day may come when I don't hold my breath when my DD goes for that squat-on, but that day has not yet arrived. Stupid squat-on. Last year when my DD was competing level 5, I remember reading a post here by the mom of a level 8 who was having issues with her squat-on and thinking, "Gah! Could my DD still be struggling with her squat-on when she is a level 8?????"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back