WAG starting xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

ivyagogo

Coach
Reaction score
Our gym where I've been coaching for 4 years is a rec-only gym. I finally convinced the owner to look into xcel. This year, we are going to create routines for the kids to perform at the end of the year for fun. Next year, we are hoping to expand into a real team. I am very excited about this new step. Any advice?

Communication, Communication, Communication!!!!!! If you haven't already, write down your goals and list everything it will take to get there. Sit down with the owner again and make sure you are both on the same page regarding these resources. Make sure you are on the same page regarding gymnast commitment, required hours in the gym, progression to team (invitation, tryouts, etc.) HAVE A PLAN and GET AGREEMENT ON WHAT IT WILL TAKE!

Once you have everything written down, start ASAP to inform the parents about your plans. It could be a great opportunity to build some enthusiasm and create vocal fans for your gym. This type of marketing is the BEST your owner could get, and it is virtually free. Just make sure to avoid the pitfalls you see discussed at length on this site...parents frustrated with "fuzziness" over what to expect. Most gym owners and coaches aren't in business because they love business, but because they love gymnastics (and hopefully kids!) It may not be fun to sit down and write out a detailed plan, but your parents will thank you, and reward you with referrals!

Also, if you don't already know, use this season to figure out just how competitive xcel is in your area so you will know how much training your girls will need to feel confident and be competitive.

Thanks for the advice. We are talking very low key as in unsanctioned. I do want to get a level of commitment from kids and parents, but as long as the girls can do bronze level routines, we won't rule anyone out. So far we are just working skills. I am going to start putting together beam and bars routines soon and floor later in the year. Every year we have a day when the kids do very simple routines and get ribbons. We work on it for a few weeks. This year, we will do the routines that we are starting to develop now so they can get an idea of what being on a team would be like.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back