WAG Statement from Chalk Warrior(re: NCAA + Brand Ambassadors)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
I just saw this Chalk Warrior post on Instagram (see the attachment).

If it’s accurate it is a pretty major warning to all the kiddos (or should I say parents) who are accepting merch in exchange for promoting said merch.

Good on Chalk Warrior for checking into it and looking out for the athletes. I hope this majorly chills out the tiny instafamers...

Attachments

• 14350A41-6092-4F64-91DE-B20342369588.jpeg
    14350A41-6092-4F64-91DE-B20342369588.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 285
I hope so too. I don't know why I find it so annoying, but seeing all these kids being ambassadors just rubs me the wrong way. I have seen many parents saying they have spoken with NCAA and it is just fine to do this and retain their eligibility, but it just seems shady. Maybe it is just me- idk.

there was a post on facebook that someone got directly from NCAA that it is OK to receive goods as long as there is not coach or gym involved and that there is not and open account for said recipient to just shop and get whatever they want for free. It refers to Reference 12.1.2.4.11 which is available at NCAA.org in the application information manual...

Not something I would risk.

Agree completely. I hesitate to comment further bc of previous issues with threads on this topic (posts taken from here by a member and screen shotted to FB “gymnastics mom” groups) where members here were ripped apart for their opinions about this and other matters like public Instagram accounts. But I’ll just say that it seems like an uneccessary risk to take for a gymmie that wants to go onto compete in college.

Agree completely. I hesitate to comment further bc of previous issues with threads on this topic (posts taken from here by a member and screen shotted to FB “gymnastics mom” groups) where members here were ripped apart for their opinions about this and other matters like public Instagram accounts. But I’ll just say that it seems like an uneccessary risk to take for a gymmie that wants to go onto compete in college.
I remember that! Lol! This is something that can be looked up on their website. Good thing there really aren’t that many ambassadorships out there anyway! Not much of a need to worry about it. I guess those famous instagrammers will find out sooner or later!But they will have a ton of tiny Leo’s they can sell for college! Ha ha

there was a post on facebook that someone got directly from NCAA that it is OK to receive goods as long as there is not coach or gym involved and that there is not and open account for said recipient to just shop and get whatever they want for free. It refers to Reference 12.1.2.4.11 which is available at NCAA.org in the application information manual...
Yes, there are many exceptions involving prize money, receiving equipment and other monies. Here is the text to this exception:

12.1.2.4.11 Exception for Receipt of Free Equipment and Apparel Items by a Prospective Student-Athlete. It is permissible for prospective student-athletes (as opposed to student-athletes) to receive free equipment and apparel items for personal use from apparel or equipment manufacturers or distributors under the following circumstances: (Adopted: 1/11/97)

(a) The apparel or equipment items are related to the prospective student-athlete's sport and are received directly from an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor;

(b) The prospective student-athlete does not enter into an arrangement (e.g., open account) with an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor that permits the prospective student-athlete to select apparel and equipment items from a commercial establishment of the manufacturer or distributor; and

(c) A member institution's coach is not involved in any manner in identifying or assisting an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor in determining whether a prospective student-athlete is to receive any apparel or equipment items.

Complete text of all exceptions can be found here:
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=33277

Yes, there are many exceptions involving prize money, receiving equipment and other monies. Here is the text to this exception:

12.1.2.4.11 Exception for Receipt of Free Equipment and Apparel Items by a Prospective Student-Athlete. It is permissible for prospective student-athletes (as opposed to student-athletes) to receive free equipment and apparel items for personal use from apparel or equipment manufacturers or distributors under the following circumstances: (Adopted: 1/11/97)

(a) The apparel or equipment items are related to the prospective student-athlete's sport and are received directly from an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor;

(b) The prospective student-athlete does not enter into an arrangement (e.g., open account) with an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor that permits the prospective student-athlete to select apparel and equipment items from a commercial establishment of the manufacturer or distributor; and

(c) A member institution's coach is not involved in any manner in identifying or assisting an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor in determining whether a prospective student-athlete is to receive any apparel or equipment items.

Thats it!

That leaves quite a bit of gray area. What is considered related to the sport? Leotards, shorts, braces- probably. What about headbands, socks, hair bows, yoga pants, sweatshirts, those inflatable mats, etc.? I feel like that's in a different category than athletic shoes, goggles, or padding (probably what they were envisioning when they wrote the rule).
It also says they may receive the items, it doesn't mention whether or not they are permitted to serve as a spokesperson/ambassador for the product. I feel like there is a difference between accepting a GK leotard for qualifying to the Nastia Cup and receiving boxes of leotards in exchange for promoting the product on social media.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back