Coaches Straddle Back Progressions and Spotting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
I am teaching one of my gymnasts a straddle back (not to handstand). Basically she needs it to compete Xcel Diamond (they must have a pirouette or release move, and this seemed the easiest for her). Although I have never taught it before, I know the basics of it. Does anyone have tips, drills, etc for making the learning process a little easier?

I have had her do it to a stack of mats, then a stack of mats under the low bar with a sting mat over the low bar. It is on a close setting and she's not quite getting to it. I tell her to tap harder, keep her hips up in the back and look under her legs. Also to hold on longer.

Also, how in the world do you spot this skill, or should I not try since I'm not experienced in it? I'm a small girl and not incredibly strong, and she is a fifteen year old. Wouldn't the straddling of the legs get in the way? Any advice helps!!

THANKS!

the straddle and the uprise occur at the low bar. so, you must be up on a block, standing maybe 2 feet away from the low bar. as they up rise, and if you're tall enough to reach, you grab each one of the hips with each one of your hands and gently guide her hips to or near a handstand. if she hits you with her leg on the straddle, tell her she is straddling to early. it's done at the low bar and on the way up.

there is a 2nd method i won't cover as it is a bit precarious.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back