Anon Straps on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is how my daughter (10, level 5) came home today after practicing giants strapped onto the bar. Is this normal in the gymnastics world? It seems horrible.

Attachments

• 20220326_132120.jpg
    20220326_132120.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 92
My dd and her teammates used the strap bar often in level 5 to start learning giants. I don't recall her arms looking like that but they would be a little red sometimes. Maybe she worked on it too many times or maybe she needs new or longer wristbands.

They can do this, especially when starting out or if they haven't done strap work in a while and return to it. I have always heard 'my wrist hurts' or 'these are too tight' before it got to that point and the child would stop and work a different activity for the rest of the rotation. Did you child experience pain/speak up?

The wounds seem really high up the wrist, I would expect them to be closer to the hands based on how I measure and fit straps for safe use.

Oh my heart hurts sometimes at what the girls shrug off as normal. That looks on the awful end of what tends to happen. My daughter has come home with patches rubbed raw by the strap bar like that and I tell her she has to stop - no strap bar until they heal, and changing things to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I suggest new gloves, or clean her gloves/sweatbands as any chalk or dust trapped in them makes them more abrasive. And she might need longer straps. My daughter comes home looking like that when someone else is using ‘her’ straps and she sizes down instead of up. Girls sometimes choose too-short straps out of fear of slipping out of them, and they cut in and rub away skin.

They can do this, especially when starting out or if they haven't done strap work in a while and return to it. I have always heard 'my wrist hurts' or 'these are too tight' before it got to that point and the child would stop and work a different activity for the rest of the rotation. Did you child experience pain/speak up?

The wounds seem really high up the wrist, I would expect them to be closer to the hands based on how I measure and fit straps for safe use.
She showed the coach and the coach applied bandaids. I wish they had stopped her from continuing but she is a tough cookie and thinks the giants are fun. I will talk to coach about ensuring a better fit.

Oh my heart hurts sometimes at what the girls shrug off as normal. That looks on the awful end of what tends to happen. My daughter has come home with patches rubbed raw by the strap bar like that and I tell her she has to stop - no strap bar until they heal, and changing things to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I suggest new gloves, or clean her gloves/sweatbands as any chalk or dust trapped in them makes them more abrasive. And she might need longer straps. My daughter comes home looking like that when someone else is using ‘her’ straps and she sizes down instead of up. Girls sometimes choose too-short straps out of fear of slipping out of them, and they cut in and rub away skin.
Excellent input. Thank you for the suggestions

I remember a video by Al Fong where he took a latex glove and cut it and layered it over Vaseline or something similar. Wristbands then go over the glove. That was for normal bars chafing, but it might help your daughter.

This is how my daughter (10, level 5) came home today after practicing giants strapped onto the bar. Is this normal in the gymnastics world? It seems horrible.

These are placed too high on the arm. The straps should hit right where the wrist bends.

My daughter recently came home from working on the strap bar and had very similar sores on both arms. She had rips on her wrists from the bars so the coach had her working on the strap bar instead. But came away with different sores from the strap bar. I didn’t realize there were different sizes or lengths of straps. Perhaps she is using the wrong size as well…

My daughter recently came home from working on the strap bar and had very similar sores on both arms. She had rips on her wrists from the bars so the coach had her working on the strap bar instead. But came away with different sores from the strap bar. I didn’t realize there were different sizes or lengths of straps. Perhaps she is using the wrong size as well…

Straps can cause sore wrists even if they are sized correctly. That is different than wearing them up too high on the arm.

Here is a video of one way to put on straps...

Here is another way. In this video the one side of the strap is too high up her arm. The straps should be right on top of each other over the wrist...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back