Stress in and out of the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sometimes i feel that when there is stress in any part of my life, it affects my gymnastics, especially on beam. If something doesn't feel quite right, i don't feel comfortable on top of the beam. That is not a good feeling for someone who can go from feeling confident to a mental wreck with a few falls. I need some way to let out my feelings before i go in the gym so that my mind is clear to concentrate and not get hurt.

welcome to life and that of gymnastics. you are now at the age where you have to find ways to cope with stress. in and out of the gym. this may sound stupid, but as i have told my own children as well as our gymnasts...start each day choosing happiness. always start the day with this choice. you'll learn that all that other 'stuff' is just that...stuff...or what i call white noise.

once you choose happiness, which will reduce white noise, you will be more relaxed...and if you have a bad day? then you do. the sun comes up the next day, you will have chosen happiness to start your next day and that beam will still be in the same place waiting for you.:)

I love that sentiment too. My parents tried to teach me something similar--that happiness is a decision not a set of circumstances. I like your philosophy of the "daily recharge" each morning on that. :)

At the gym my daughter goes to, many of the coaches seem to be like that, pretty positive people. One female options coach, however, who I think helps coach level 9s and 10s at our gym, has never smiled at me. I'm sure she has no clue who I am or who my daughter is, and I actually don't know her name. But for two years, everytime I pass her in the lobby or hall (which is probably only once every month or two) I smile at her, like I do at most everybody I walk by. She has never smiled back. Just last night I was heading into the restroom near the front desk. I smiled at her and she gave me a scowl that I swear sucked half the oxygen from the hallway. I will just continue to smile and wonder how long it will take her to smile back at me, maybe it won't be until (if ever) my daughter is an optional gymnast and I am by proxy on her radar screen. And maybe when my daughter graduates from high school many years from now I'll give her a hard time and maybe some flowers and tell her how long it took her to crack a smile for me. For now I'll just go on with my goofy smile....... I'm sure she has no idea that in the meantime it has become a fun little mini challenge for me. Ah the cheap thrills of a bored gym parent waiting for my sweetie to emerge from the chalk dust at the end of practice...

"Leave it all at the door."When I'm having a bad day or stressed about something I literally imagine all of that falling off of me as i walk through the gym doors.Maybe I'm crazy but it works for me!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back