Parents Summer Skills Update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
This summer, things are going well, even though the girls were not happy about training on Friday nights. We used to only train M-Th in the summer.

Kelsey has been working hard on her bar skills and their dance/floor coach said her Fx routine is one of the best in the gym :D I'm really proud of the way she has turned her attitude and focus around since the rocky start we had back in December-Feb between coming off cheering, being sick with strep, spraining her ankle, having to miss a Sectional and not qualifying for States! Her giants are looking better and she's been working on her yurchenkos, straddlebacks and toe-shoots.

Little Monkey has been uptraining with a vengeance! Our not-so-new anymore coach who has done miracles with the girls, has been pushing her harder than the others. He has been rewarding the girls with lollipops and she keeps asking why she can't get one even though she has mastered all of her L6 bar skills. She sees the other girls getting rewards for their kips and skills she already has. He told her when she gets her clear-hip to handstand, she will get a lolly :D . She has been training with the L5/6 somedays and with the L7s other days. Yesterday the L6/7 girls had a 3 hr bars clinic. At first all of the girls balked about having to go on a Saturday but in the morning, she was excited about it. When I picked her up, coach said she was doing giants w/the harness, and also straddlebacks and toe shoots! Here we go again with the potential sibling issues, but Kelsey told me the other day that she "never wants to get out of Level 8!!!"....ok her choice. LM came out of gym yesterday saying "we should have clinics every month"!!! LOL.

Next week is the Level 8 bars clinic so we will see how that goes for Kelsey. The difference in the 2 groups is that the L6/7 are very highly motivated, whereas the L8's are a bit behind the 8 ball when it comes to motivation and discipline due to several years of poor coaching habits....where the girls were allowed to become lazy. I hope Coach S can turn things around for them but it's going to be a battle all the way.

Sounds like both of the girls are right where they need to be. Lovely that they both seem to be feeling happy about where they are at in the gym.

WOW! You truly do have 2 gymMONKEYS! It sounds like they are having an amazing summer and are going to have an even more amazing (hopefully injury-free) year!:D

Great update! Glad both girls are doing well, on bars no less, it seems bars are always the toughest - so if they got them, flaunt them - huh! I'm sure K will not be thrilled with having to go in on a Sat, but once she is there, she will probably love it!

My dd hates Mon & Tues because she has to stay an extra hr for bars both days, so she is there from 2-7 both days! She always complains, but once she's with the other girls, she's fine. I think the problem is like tonight my dh, her dad, is taking ds over to the soccer field to work on shooting and other soccer stuff and she can't go - so she feels she is missing something! It's all trivial - I think it is just her teenage outlet for complaining! :rolleyes:

I would love to see K's floor routine, great compliment from the coach (maybe I'll get to see it sometime this upcoming season!) My dd is supposed to be getting a new floor routine sometime soon for the new season!

Love hearing what's going on!

Glad both are doing well! I've realized that maybe it's okay if they don't have high goals for themselves--as long as they're not upset when the younger passes the older (as has happened in our family already).

I would love to see K's floor routine, great compliment from the coach (maybe I'll get to see it sometime this upcoming season!) My dd is supposed to be getting a new floor routine sometime soon for the new season!

Love hearing what's going on!

Thanks. This is her Phantom routine, but it's been tweaked again and again. So what it is now probably isn't what it was a few months ago (the last time I taped it).

Maybe we will finally catch either other at a meet. We'll be at Greater NY in December, Parkettes in Jan and Magical Classic in Feb, that's the plan right now :D

It must be great to know where you are going already. I have no idea what meets we will be going to.

Not sure if dd will be competing 8 or 9. HC has mentioned something about doing 8 again, but who knows. I figure I will find out when I know what time to report to the first meet! :laughing:

Thanks. This is her Phantom routine, but it's been tweaked again and again. So what it is now probably isn't what it was a few months ago (the last time I taped it).

Maybe we will finally catch either other at a meet. We'll be at Greater NY in December, Parkettes in Jan and Magical Classic in Feb, that's the plan right now :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back