Parents Surviving a mass exodus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all,

I'm new here so I will give a short intro. I'm mom to N. who is L8 and T. who is L4. We also have 2 other children not in competitive gymnastics.

We've been at our current gym for the last 5 years. I would definitely describe our gym as "developing". There are 4-5 other gyms in this area and all of them have been around for a long time and have a strong reputation for placing girls high at meets. Those gyms are also harsher on the girls and more strenous and after looking at 2 of them (one of which we stayed at for a year on the L2-L3 team), we left, knowing that it was not the right vibe for us. N. my L8, is competitive and works hard, but she does not want her life to be gym gym gym and neither do I or my dh.

Our current gym has a thriving and well established boys' program with a good reputation and it was clear, even 5 years ago when I first stepped into the gym, that life there revolves around the boys' program. That was okay by me and N. (who was my only gymmie at the time).

The girls' program through these 5 years has struggled with coaches with no gymnastics knowledge or coaching know-how. About two years ago, when N. was a L5, there was a mass exodus and 12 girls left--3 from the senior girls team (L5 and up) and 9 from the afterschool team (L4-L5).

That actually helped things--bad coaches were fired, good coaches were promoted or hired and for the next 2 years, the teams began to improve. Last compulsory season, they had an extremely successful L3 season and every girl on the L4, L5 and L6 teams made it to State with half of them ranking in the top 10.

Just 2 months later, one of the coaches just quits. Out of the blue. This coach is very experienced and has worked at a lot of gyms which sounds good but actually isn't because what it means is that she has never stayed at a gym for more than 2 years.

So there were tears, questions, confusion and I think our gym should have had a parents' meeting of some sort, to settle the parents down, explain how the staffing will now work, introduce them to the newer coaches who will be taking over, etc. But this didn't happen, and I guess doubts began to arise, despite having had a good season. I guess our gym hasn't established itself enough to win the parents over?

To make things worse, 2 weeks ago, the co-owner who is also one of the Boys' HCs comes over and "talks" to the L5-L7 girls' teams. Neither of my dds were there, but he apparently said inappropriate and unprofessional things, revealed negative and personal things about the coach that left and basically said that the boys' team is much better and more organized and whatever whatever. Idiotic stuff.

Mass exodus #2. Two girls have already left, and 4 more have called the nearest competing gym (the one that we left) to try out there. I anticipate those 4 leaving. The teams are small enough to begin with. N. said to me, "wow, it will just be me left." Sigh.

We are committed to our current gym. We love our HC and she loves us. N. is their only L8 so far and our HC told me that she will get N. wherever she wants to go (which is L10 and maybe college). N. is also a competitive dancer and our HC has worked with us over the years with N's practice schedule and all of our many vacations.

So far the drama has only affected the L5-L7 girls. The L4 parents are still on cloud 9 after such a great L3 season and they are all fairly new to the gym and don't know any of the old history or drama or bad coaches. Life is grand for my T. and her L4 teammates. But I feel so bad for my N.

Anyway--all this to say, has anyone stayed at their gym after a mass exodus? Any encouraging words I can say? Anything I can do?

Yes, our gym changed owners 3 times in 14 months. The first well-established owner sold the gym to pursue other avenues, and if I mentioned his name most everyone would know who he is. Threw a lot of people for a loop. Many quit or went elsewhere.

The new owner wasn't around much bc he had a gym in another city quite far from us. Our gym just started dropping off in classes and team. Our level 5 team went from 17 when the season started to 11 at the end of the season, to 6 that moved up to level 6. Classes were getting smaller, friends were trying out at other gyms. We stayed bc we had no other gym to go to since we lived so far away.

That owner sold it to the current owners. I knew it would get better, and it did. I mean, for awhile during that year in between I expected the place would be closed one day when we showed up. I said, "It can only get better; how could it get worse?" Now, we are doing quite well. Our compulsories have been making a name for our gym the last couple of years, and this year they are awesome. We've dubbed our level 4 the "Sensational 6" because their team of 6 has won 3 out of 4 meets, and placed 2nd at the other. Last meet, every age group they were in, they won AA and at least 3 of the 4 events. Our 2s and 3s have been in top 5 all their meets, our level 8s are amazing and 9s have won 2 meets. 5 years ago, we were just a struggling "new" gym trying to figure everything out.

All that to say, if you feel like you are in the right place, stick it out, it will get better. (It might just take a little while). If it gets to where you no longer have confidence there, and you have options, you might want to move on. We stuck it out through mass exoduses and the rumor mill and sudden coaching changes, and it has worked out and been fine. Hope you can figure out what to do, and hope my little story can help you some how.

Sounds like you like where your girls are at, so I would say sit tight and see what happens. At least you're at the end of your season so you have a bit of time that if you need to pull you're girls out, they will have time to adjust to a new program before the meet season re-starts.

Good luck!

We're where we need to be. This is the best gym for us. It's just hard to deal with all these people leaving and them leaving in this terrible way. The parting was not amicable and there were hurt feelings. And none of these girls even said goodbye. They tried out at the other gym secretly and left suddenly. It is hard to lose gymnasts to the "giant" gyms here--it just feels like they get everything--they win all the time and they get all our girls.

I am just working through my own feelings. I am resentful of the boys' HC for basically sabotaging our girls and am disappointed in these moms for leaving over one person's--who is not involved with our girls for the most part--inconsiderate and unprofessional actions. I wish they had just blown it off since it wasn't our HC saying all these things, but I guess everyone was all messed up from that one coach leaving and this was just the last straw.

Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement so far.

Good luck to your and your children xxx
I hope D doesnt end up by herself! I would hang on to the fact that i survived one mass exodus, and i can do it again!
((hugs))

We are in the same boat. We will stay where we are. :) We have a large level one team(very common in our state), our level 2 team(3 girls), level 3 team(2 girls), level 4 (4 girls), and one lonely 5. Currently, one level 4 is leaving and trying to take everyone with her. We aren't going. Our gym just merged with another gym and these are what are left. But meanwhile we have four awesome coaches and a well known higher level coach is about to join us as well. Our powerhouse team is the level 2 girls(three of them just won the grand champions of the level 2 teams at their last meet). The hope is to move those girls and a couple of others to four for next season.
We will stay where we are. I like the direction the girls are moving in.

Those situations are definitely hard on everyone, especially the gymnasts. I tell my DD that gym is ever changing, just like life. You learn from all those changes and take those lessons with you. You also keep whatever good stuff you got from the coaches that have coached you.

It sounds like your girls are in the right place for them though. I hope things get settled down in your gym soon. As long as your daughters are happy and progressing safely, that is what matters. Hang in there!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back