WAG Talent/Maturity Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd was a level 4 with the same issues at 8 years old... Now she just turned 11 and is level 8.... It just happens...
That makes me feel so much better. I was started to get discouraged. Thanks for sharing that with me.

Reactions: Dka
If she's enjoying it, and you can cope with the time/financial commitment, then it's all good.

Some kids "their" sport is not necessarily the one they will reach the olympics at. It's the one they love doing and turn up every session willing to work at. Give her as much time as she wants- it may click, it may not. It may not click until she's 12, but if you pull her out now it never will.

Even if gymnastics turns out to not be her sport, it will give her a sound basis in flexibility, strength, discipline, spatial awareness, time management….etc etc when she does find her sport.

You are right. Thank you. There is a lot she can gain from this experience outside of winning.

Same here. Take a moment to reflect on what you were like at that age, and then compare those thought to yourself at age 10, and again at 12.

If your question is driven by observing other children her age that seem to "get it" then consider what they don't get that your dear daughter gets.... easily.

You are right. I had no body awareness (or general awareness, lol) at 8.

Thanks for sharing this. Your daughter is still young too. I guess either way it is a good experience for them in working hard at something.

DD's form was awful when she was 8, but she's slowly improving with time (she's 10, going on 11 now). She knows what she has to do, but hollow body and straight legs don't come naturally to her so she has to think too much about them still. I find that towards the end of a season her form is great because her routines have become so ingrained that she can use more of her brain to concentrate on form - early in the season she's still trying to remember her routines and fix skills, there's no room in the brain to worry about form!
My daughter is same way-- about to turn 9, doing L5 and has been getting low 8s at best (finally got a 9 this weekend). She seems to have trouble with form and falters at meets (much better in gym). But, she loves the sport, and I am just hoping that with time, she can build up those skills and do better (or not-- as long as she loves it). When I first joined this forum, I saw all sorts of posts with overall scores of 35, 36, 37, but since posting about my low scorer (but awesome daughter), a whole bunch of parents with lower scoring gymnasts came out to voice support. Not every kid at every age and every level will be at the top. :) they are still young kids, and really the end goal for most of these kids is to have fun today not to make it somewhere.
Your daughter is still young too. I figure either way these will be good experiences for them. Thank you for sharing.

When I was 8 my form was so terrible that one of the coaches made me get checked by a doctor to see if my arms and legs physically straightened. They did but I just couldn't concentrate on them. I was a terrible compulsory (I was literally last place at level 5 states). One of the coaches wanted me to stay in level 5 for a third year to improve my form even though I had all the skills. Another coach convinced him that my form wouldn't get any better with the same skills so I went to level 6 and was still pretty bad. I had all the skills and I had them safely but they were just really ugly. When I hit optionals I was like 12 or 13 and something finally clicked. Of course my form was never amazing (I never got compared to Nastia Liukin) but it was so much better. I began to place pretty well at meets and even won some events at states. I did get to level 9 and would have competed d3 college gymnastics if not for an injury. Sorry for the long post but yes form can improve greatly. I did surprise my coaches though because they never thought I would get as far as I did because of my earlier form issues.
Wow, this is a great story. It gives me so much hope. I think I have to be patient and give things a chance to click for my dd. Thank you!

DD = Darling Daughter or Dear Daughter ( or depending on a parents mood Darn Daughter). DH ( dear husband) DS ( dear son) occasionally you see reverences to OD ( older daughter) YD ( younger daughter) or to DGD ( dear Grand daughter) and variations on the above for various boys/girls and/or older/ younger.

my wife says darn husband...:)

I have been coaching 20 years and my son just had his first meet in level 4. He came in last on all six events. I guess it's safe to say I don't coach my own kid when Im teaching in the gym. And I let him own his own gymnastics. Im there to give him all the hugs after a good and bad meet. As long as he's having fun and reaping the benefits of sports Im good. I wish girls meets were run like the boys. It would keep parents from feeling insane with the scores.

I have been coaching 20 years and my son just had his first meet in level 4. He came in last on all six events. I guess it's safe to say I don't coach my own kid when Im teaching in the gym. And I let him own his own gymnastics. Im there to give him all the hugs after a good and bad meet. As long as he's having fun and reaping the benefits of sports Im good. I wish girls meets were run like the boys. It would keep parents from feeling insane with the scores.
I so agree that the boys meets are more age appropriate - took some getting used to that they would play video games with the coach while waiting but now I really appreciate it...

I like the ribbons instead of medals for lower levels because it keeps them having something to look forward to and sure makes awards run fast.

Warm-ups for events looks way less stressful. Not exactly sure what the difference is yet compared to girls. Maybe it's just because Im not coaching for a change.

My son won the raffle so he felt as if he won the biggest prize. I don't even think he noticed that he came in dead last on everything, lol. For the newer and younger guys I think that's exactly how it should go. No need to beat up an 8 year olds self-esteem for putting himself out their and trying. The Men's Program is fantastic! Would love to see the Women's Program learn a few things from them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back