Parents Tallish (lanky?) gymnast with hypermobile elbows - advice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

View attachment 6885
Coaches aren't bothered by it, other than reminding her to *try* not to do it because it's one of a million deductions she gets on bars. Her elbows are generally straighter in her full routines, but her casts aren't as high either, which I find interesting. You can see here they're still *slightly* hyperextended at the apex of her cast (and yes, this is really high for her!).

I didn't realize that this was a deduction? Its like someone with-out hypermobile elbows is 'straight' - her arms are 'straight'/locked out in relation to her body? That doesn't make sense to me. But I am also many years removed from the gymnastics world.

My level 3 is definitely struggling with her BHS! She looks good on a trampoline but her arms get so wobbly on mats and floor and she told me she tends to hyper extend sometimes and it hurts. :(
I didn't realize that this was a deduction? Its like someone with-out hypermobile elbows is 'straight' - her arms are 'straight'/locked out in relation to her body? That doesn't make sense to me. But I am also many years removed from the gymnastics world.

Here's a couple videos from yesterday... should she work on strength of arms? Chin ups for biceps?

Actually not sure how to post a video...?

My level 3 is definitely struggling with her BHS! She looks good on a trampoline but her arms get so wobbly on mats and floor and she told me she tends to hyper extend sometimes and it hurts. :(

I wonder if that is part of the deductions my dd is getting...

Heck, maybe it's not. I can only go by what coaches have told us, and they've said past straight isn't straight. Plus, in a quickly moving routine it's sometimes hard to differentiate hyperextended and bent. Bars is by far her most challenging event (though her favorite), so who knows.. it's a LOT of deductions to keep track of! Ha!

It’s hard to compare the two, as on trampoline it is more a standing bhs, whereas on floor it comes from a round-off. To me her floor issue stems from her body position after the round-off making the bhs more difficult.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back