WAG Teaching a good set

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

ivyagogo

Coach
I have several girls who have mastered their round off back handsprings and are now working on tucks. Most of them have good tucks on the tramp, but as soon as they add it to their robhs, it turns into a tucky whipback. I have them do rebounds, but as soon as they flip, it turns to pot.

Any drills that you all recommend?

Also, I have one girl I have been working a lot with. She is very strong and powerful, but she is always too high in her back handspring and can't even get a decent straight jump afterward. Is the problem with her roundoff? It took me a whole year to get her to hurdle into roundoff.

For the tucky whipbacks it could be they are throwing their heads back to see the floor, could try standing tucks with a bean bag or sponge tucked under their chin (with spot if needed).

Re the high BHS, is it high from standing as well? If not then her feet may not be far enough in front of her out of her round off.

Think videos would help.:)

Are they doing them standing on the trampoline or with bounces into them?

You could try having them RO BHS straight jump onto a resi mat (if there set really needs work you could just start with one 8 incher and work your way up). Then throw on a wedge onto the resi and have them RO BHS to candle, then have them RO BHS to candle...backward roll. Finally have them RO BHS back tuck onto the wedge and start working towards doubles :)

When the girls are doing "whipback back tucks" Is's probably because they're throwing their head back , so perhaps if you have them practice roff bhs set and in the set look forward at a spot on the wall. Then, add the tuck, but make sure they see the wall before they rotate. Make sure they understand that is it UP then tuck and not just rotate

You can do one of two things.......

Let them continue as they are until they've built up a little confidence, and then teach them how to set by spotting them and with verbal cues.

or....

You could spot them for the next 200-400 attempts while they work on building their confidence.

The thing is, the kids have a sense for what the can and can't do. Most of the time they're going to be wrong because they just haven't done enough gymnastics, but in this case they probably got it right because it takes a pretty good round-off bhs to make a proper set happen. Consider this.....Back tucks are created with the same mechanics during the set as back lay-outs, so until they can tumble with the power you'd like to see on a lay-out, they won't truely grasp the concept of initiating the punch in a forward leaning position that transitions into an upright position that extends through the hips and ribs as they leave the floor and elevate upward.

My best advice is to work on round-off improvements because that's the easiest way to increase power on a r-o bhs.

Here is the robhs. This is actually not quite as high as usual, but I think her hurdle is too high, she is obviously undercutting, and she is too scrunched up in the bhs. What do I fix first? This girl is doing so well everywhere. She just got her bwo on beam and her side aerial on floor. She is also closing in on her kip. This seems so silly.

Robhs - YouTube

Here's what I'm seeing, but first a little tumbling philosophy........

Maximum tumbling energy comes mostly from traveling along the tumbling run at a faster speed. If you eliminate all excess motion other than motion that propels you in the tumbling direction you can reach a higher speed with less effort.

Applying this logic to the gymnast in the video you can get rid of a bunch of the height in her hurdle, and a fair amount of the turn as she's reaching for the floor. The turn is a big issue because it's going so far that her second hand can't push her into the snap down because it's out to the side instead of being under her body during the side handstand phase.

Another problem is that she balances on her front foot as she finishes her hurdle. Look at her body mass distribution as her front foot hits the floor. It looks like she'd fall back if she were motionless in this position and lifted her back foot off the tumbling surface, as about 60-65% of her body weight is behind her front foot, and that's going to slow her down by requiring the speed from her run and hurdle to get past her front foot.

My personal opinion is that tumbling should tumble. What I mean is that the more you lose your balance in the direction you're trying to tumble, the better.

I might have a drill that I sent off to a few other people who were pretty pleased with the results. I'll send it to you if I can find it.

^^ agree about the round off. Also her arms are a long way apart in the round off, kind of like a power tumbler but too far apart for her strength.

If you pause your video as her feet hit the floor out of her round off and before she goes into her back handspring I think you will find a few problems with her shape. She has her head out, no hollow shape, bent legs, feet behind her centre of mass instead of in front which causes the high handspring etc etc. I'd do lots of work on the round off and especially the snap to hollow rebound back onto high mats.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back