Texas Prime Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
I was looking at the scores from this meet, and saw that Two level 6 gymnasts from WOGA had each scored a 10.00 plus a handful of 9.900s. Without taking away from these girls' talent, I can't help but be a little skepticsl. The one girl almost scored a perfect 40.00.

My question is, is the scoring easier in Texas allowing these extremely high scores? Any gymnasts here competed in Texas but you're from a different region that can give your opinion? I've been watching my daughter compete for 7 years and gave never seen a 10.00 at any level, and only 2 9.9's. I have seen flawless routines score 9.55, 9.6. We are in Region 8, which seems to have much tougher scoring than other places. When we go out of the region, my dd's scores tend to be slightly higher. An amazing gymnast in Region 8 will score 37's and sometimes 38's.

I've watched YouTube videos of routines from TX, and I often think the scores are a lot higher than they should have been. I also noticed at this meet thus year, that there wasn't a big diversity if teams. Is that because WOGA and Texas Dreams dominate, so not many teams bother to go? I would like any "been there, done that" opinions, or a gymnast that competed at that meet to offer their thoughts.

Also, I mean no disrespect to the girls that got those scores. It's just hard to believe 2 10's in one meet, and two near 40.00 scores.

I would say that if you saw TWO scores of 10 and a handfull of 9.9s , then the meet was overscored...OR these talented gymnasts should move up a level.

32.9% of the girls at that meet scored 37 or higher. 9.1% got 38 or higher. That's unheard of around here. Last meet I watched here was 6.6% 37+ and 0.6% 38+.

It's all relative, I guess. Just not sure whether the talent's relative or the scoring's relative!

It is very competitive there. However, I saw that one gymnast who got a 10 on beam at a recent meet is in an elite training group at a large gym (the 10 was in level 8). So, I could believe she could do a near perfect routine on beam under JO level 8 rules. I don't really feel any one way about it. That kid could probably compete level 9 or 10 routines, but I'd rather a kid under 11 or 12 compete level 8 anyway, even if they're doing extremely well.

Overall I think it's mostly higher competition quality and scores being pushed up. They could score harder I supposed, but for example at Texas compulsory states, in order to qualify you mostly had to score 36+ in say level 4 from what I've seen. So in the process of ranking so many proficient routines, the scores are going to get pushed up to the 9.8s. I've seen some great routines out of Texas, but have noticed visible deductions that didn't account for the score. Doesn't mean it wasn't an extremely good routine and probably ranked more or less accurately by it's score.

I would say it was the coach as she coached 4 of the top 7 gymnasts. The meet was mostly girls starting level 6 or those finishing level 6. Obviously, the top scores were those finishing level 6. With that said, there was only one judge per event and the scores were a bit high but probably not too far off.

My daughter was in that meet. She is a L8 gymnast and has been in three meets so far this season. All three of her meets have been in three different states (CO, AZ, and TX). Her scores has been pretty much consistent across the three meets. We are from Region 1 (AZ). However, in my personal opinion I think the scores at Texas Prime was just a little bit more generous but not too far off.

Hello All,

That is an interesting question. In Dec 2010 my daughter was the Level 5 Junior A1 state champion with a 38.675. 2 months later in February 2011 she then scored out of Level 6 at the Svetlana meet with a 37.55. She's now in her first season of level 7 in the Seattle area and doing well, I might add. She's had a bumpy start with the new gym and new coaching style, but I think she is getting in the groove. Her first 2 meets here in WA, she scored a 37.75 and a 37.225, then traveled to CA and scored a 36.8. Had another meet in Phoenix where she did very well, but scratched on bars so her all around score isn't comparable, but scored the highest this season on floor and vault. I expected some drop off in scores because it's now optionals so that really wasn't a surprise to me, plus the new gym and taking some time to feel comfortable. Now, what was a complete shock to me was that I just happened to look at the top 100 on mymeetscores.com and saw one of her old teammates in TX AND one of her teammates who last year competed Level 5 Achievement scored a 9.9 on floor at the Metroplex meet in Dallas. Her old teammate is at a new gym, but a 9.9 on floor just seems crazy high to me. I couldn't score a routine for the life of me so I have no idea, but I do think they score a bit higher in TX. At that meet in Metroplex just about every level 7 gymnast scored above 9.375. To me that seems a bit much...I know the teams around Dallas are very good but I'm not seeing those here. This weekend she is in Minneapolis for The Northern Lights meet, we'll see how she scores there. Just my $.02....and the only way to really know the difference is to compete in the different reasons to see how the different events are scored. I do think they score a little higher on average in TX, but it's really hard to say because DD is now an optional rather than a compulsary gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back