Parents The eager little gymnast

• Thread starter Thread starter lilgymmie7
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
L

lilgymmie7

I wanted to ask a question to all parents of gymnasts that seem to be progressing quickly. My DD was only 4 when they moved her to level 4. She was then 5 as a level 5. She will be 7 in January and is looking forward to her first official USA level 5 meet!
Once they moved her up, I began to realize that gymnastics was going to take a lot of time commitment. She is a first grader, and for the most part has began to learn effective ways to manage her time.
My question is this. How do you as a parent handle the fact that your child is doing so much. In the gym, she trains obviously level 5 routines. But just today, I saw her do her first back walk over on high beam all by herself. She went to a lone beam and just went for it. Last week at an open gym, she pulled a few fulls and they looked pretty good. She seems to catch on quickly.
Last year as a kindergartner, she asked her teacher if she was able to complete her weeks worth of homework on Monday because she would not have time during the week to do it due to gym. She handled a problem on her own! She is progressing very well academically as well.
Now as her mother, I feel extremely blessed to witness the evolution of a well rounded child. I don't want to stop it! How do I not put pressure on her about either gym and/or school. I am a teacher, I know how to talk to a parent about school related issues. But gymnastics issues stump me.
I guess what I am asking is for examples of how parents everywhere nurture the hearts of children while also supporting their dreams both academically and in the gym WITHOUT adding stress.

By the sounds of it your daughter will nurture her own talent. If she loves the gym, and it sounds like she does she will handle more than most adults can imagine a 6 1/2 year old would.

She sounds very intelligent for her age (most talented gymnasts are) so school work will not likely be a big issue. She will be able to get hers done in a fraction of the time that it would take most her age.

How to support your gymmie without adding stress formula is

Pay gym bills + Drive to gym when required + Take gymmie to physio when required + Feed gymmie nutritious meals = Happy gymmie

Sounds like your DD will tell you if she needs anything else and solve her own problems if any come up. Don't anticipate anything on the horizon! Just enjoy the ride, wherever it may take you!

Based on what you've said, I wouldn't worry at all--your daughter is handling issues just fine on her own! I'm not sure I really have anything to say--my own gymnasts have always been great at planning their homework around gym--and both are straight A students. And to sportyspice's list, I would add "Listen to your gymmie when she wants to talk, but don't grill her about practice or skills"

Thank you all! She is my third child, and compared to my other two older children I have been more hands off with her than I remember being with them. I often feel guilty as if I am not doing enough for her. Every child is different I know. I just want to help her along the way without hindering her growth academically, socially, and athletically. Parenting didn't seem so hard when I had to be in the mix with my older two. It seemed like they needed me more at her age. Thank you all again.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back