Parents the skinny on scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
i'm watching the world's right now and i'd love if someone could explain scoring at that level to me. or, direct me to a place that would explain it to me.

thanks!

Each score has two components: difficulty and execution. The D score (which is judged by a separate panel) is created by looking at the different skills in the routine and how hard they are. The harder the skills, the higher the D score. The execution score is the one you see all the time, the good old friendly 10.0 minus all the deductions for small and large errors. The gymnast competes, is assigned a D score based on the skills and an E score based on execution, and the two scores are added up, and bingo, there you are!

No, there is no highest possible score. Scoring is open ended. The more difficulty the higher your potential score, the more deductions the lower it goes.

ahhh, ok! so the D score- its not determined at all by HOW the skill is executed, only if its present?

Reactions: sce
E - execution score is all the deductions added up and taken away from 10.

D- difficulty score is the sum of all the skills added together. THere are rules about how many skills are allowed in each routine and at what difficulty. Obviously if you compete 8 c skills on bars or 8 E scores on bars, your D scores will be different. BUt your E scores could be the same.

Not quite sure how it works on difficulty, but it's something like this: there's a limit on how many skills count for your routine and the skills need to be distributed across different types (front/back tumbling, dance, on bars different kinds of circling/release moves). And then each skill has a value, something like .1 for A, .2 for B, .3 for C, and so on. There are additional bonuses for connecting skills. When competing in the US, the men also get a bonus for sticking at the end. All of this goes into calculating the D scores.

ahhh, ok! so the D score- its not determined at all by HOW the skill is executed, only if its present?
Sort of. I think if they fall and don't complete the skill it does not count in the D score. They would also have excution deductions from this. As well, the connections of elements go into the D score. So if they don't properly connect them then they don't count in the D score.

The D score is calculated by one judge on the panel. It may be that the gymmie could have a 6.2, but she misses a connection or falls before landing a skill and so her D score could be way lower,

Stick bonus is added later.

The D score will be posted whilst the E score judges calculate the deductions.

Though as pointed out in many threads the deductions are not necessarily applied as indicated.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back