Parents Tkachev and other releases

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

tomtnt

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My DD has always been really quick at learning skills.. she's finding it quite frustrating to catch her Tkachev. She finally caught one 2-3 weeks back but unable to do so again. I think the fact that she caught one makes it even more frustrating to not be able to do so again.

How long does it usually take to get proficient at the level 10 release moves? at what point does the coach gives up on one release and tries a different release?

Makes you wish for the good old days of learning to kip! =)

sigh. That is such a good question. D is working his tkachev as well. He worked geinger for a while, and can do a vault catch. The vault catch did not take long at all. Geinger he just was not progressing on. Coach let him switch because he wanted to. But that was several months ago. He is getting the components, but hasn't put it all together yet...

I think everyone is different - Dd started drills about 4 weeks ago and is catching them now; 1 little teammate has been doing drills for about 3 months and also is catching them ( same day as Dd), 3rd little teammate is still being spotted.....so guess it's like every skill all the way - it can just take time. And I guess for some kids ( like cute little Ad with her cartwheel )it may be a defining skill that they never quite master.

Frustrating as it is, as parents we just have to sit back & offer hugs when needed.

Super good luck - hubby & I call them "Did ya catch it"

It took Alex like 9+ months to catch her geinger and it really never got consistent. Her coach moved her to jaegers and she got that in a very short period of time but broke her thumb shortly thereafter so well have to see if she gets it back and how consistent it will be. Her pac again, longer time to get but very consistent.

[QUOTE="kitkat, post: 466094, member: 14014"but broke her thumb shortly thereafter ...[/QUOTE]
Did not realise Alex was injured - such a lovely gymnast from what you've shared - really hoping she's healed & fit soon

It was well over a year from the time my dd caught her first jaeger until she was catching them with any kind of consistency.

Thanks Auswi... she was hurt from Nov 18/15 to Jun/16 - two tears in her knee. Then she was cleared and then broke her thumb 2 weeks later. Its now 9 weeks and she is due back to gym Thursday. Fingers crossed to a healthy season.

[QUOTE="kitkat, post: 466094, member: 14014"but broke her thumb shortly thereafter ...
Did not realise Alex was injured - such a lovely gymnast from what you've shared - really hoping she's healed & fit soon[/QUOTE]

My oldest was just beginning drills for several release moves before music camp, so no personal parent observation, but I do know that his level 10 friend was intermittantly catching his (after having several other releases for years) last year and coach's comments about it to the optional boy parents was " not enough drills...he had most of the components but not all so not consistent" which our coach translates to more drills before just "trying to catch it"....not sure if that helps, but sure makes sense...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back