Parents to compete this year or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SPX

Proud Parent
We've been told ds could do either pre-team or L4 this year. He is 6. The training requirements are not very different between the two, the cost of team is just shy of double pre-team. If he did L4 this year, he would likely not score as well but he would gain the experience of competing. He is nervous about competition because it is new to him but excited by it too. He seems to be very much on the fence about which he would like to do. I can see upsides and challenges with either route. So please, help me out with your thoughts and experience!

To team or not to team? that is the question.

Good news is, whichever you chose is likely to have a positive outcome. Boys have lots of time to learn, mature, polish, often repeat, and still have great success :)

I have a new L4 this year (DS7), and a year ago when he was turning 6, I was originally disappointed when I figured out our gym would keep him (and others his age) on pre-team another year when he technically had all the skills to compete L4. I was excited and anxious for him to compete, and waiting another year felt like a waste of the time he had already put in. I thought he looked pretty good!

Fast forward a year, and he looks SO much better in his form, and now this little team is likely to have a shot at some podium spots. AND he is unlikely to have to repeat L4 next year, already working on L5 skills. AND I saved a couple thousand dollars in tuition and meet-related expenses, so I am now actually completely supportive of our gym's philosophy.

In your case, not knowing your gym's general philosophy, I might push toward competing if:

- He indicates interest (even if he's nervous - they pretty much all are)
- Other boys he has been practicing with / is friends with his age are going to compete
- He has the minimum routines already and will be bored if there is nothing new introduced in pre-team
- He is on the mature side for his age
- The extra cost doesn't create strain for you
- It is common at your gym to compete as a 6 year old and repeating L4 is a normal path (i.e., he wouldn't feel bad if he had to repeat) Not that he definitely would, but repeating is common other places when you start at 6.

Just my thoughts. Whatever your son, you and coach decide I'm sure will work out for the best!

Have him do team! He will have a great time. But the most important benefit is for you. There is nothing in the world cuter than little tiny l4 boys competing.

Can't argue with the cuteness. Compelling argument indeed. :)

My son competed L4 as a very young 6yo last season. He'll actually still be a 6yo this year due to his late fall birthday.

I have somewhat mixed feelings on this, but in the end I think it ended up being a good experience for him. He went into the first meet looking very rough, and it was a difficult experience for him to come away empty-handed. He was in kindergarten, and I think I overestimated his ability to handle that type of pressure. I honestly didn't even think there would be any pressure, because neither his coach nor I had any expectations regarding scores or placements. He had a hard time with nerves all season, though. I think it's just the nature of competition. Some areas seem to have a more laid back approach to L4, but around here it's serious business. There were 14 and 15 year old L4s who clearly should have skipped that level. At one meet we saw older L4s swinging up to handstand on every p-bar swing. The whole thing was a little unnerving for my little guy.

But... he grew SO much as a gymnast and as a person last year, and I think a lot of that had to do with his experience in competitions. He came back to the gym after that first meet more focused than I had ever seen him. His scores increased dramatically the first few meets, and continued to improve the whole season. Having to compete at meets was definitely a motivator for him. The other huge bonus was that he had a crash course in dealing with disappointment. He learned that not everybody wins, and that it was better to focus on his own improvement.

There was a time early in the season when I was sure we had made a mistake, but in the end it worked out for him. That said, I don't know that in a year or two he'll be that far ahead of where he would have been had he waited.

At this age, as long as he wants to do it, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck!

D competed level 4 as a 6 year old and had a blast. They don't do podiums here for that age, just ribbons, but he loved it. And the cute factor....well, it just doesn't last long :) But when a 6 yo l4 flashes that toothless grin with the salute, it is priceless!

We recently faced a similar decision with our 7-year-old--move to L3 team with the goal of competing midyear or remain on preteam for another year training L3/L4 skills with the goal of competing L4 next season if she is ready. We decided to keep her on preteam, even though the conditioning is less intense and the hours are slightly lower. The most advanced preteam group is smaller than the L3 team, the preteam training is more individualized, and there is no uptraining on team during the competitive season. We felt that if she moved to L3 this year she would be pretty much guaranteed to repeat it next year, whereas there is at least a chance that she will be ready for L4 next year if she spends the whole year focused on those skills. Plus that, preteam is cheaper and if she doesn't compete then I don't have to deal with the booster club for another year.;)

Meant to add--So I would say the bottom line is to figure out which option will serve his long-term goals best, and then go with that one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back