MAG Too many hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
How very rude of you.
It was a discussion about how many hours is too many for an 8 year old.

boy or girl does it matter??

is there a post missing between your 2 posts? did a moderator remove something i can't see? can't make sense of it.

anyway, it does matter just a bit. us boys are physically less developed even at 8. so typically you will find 8 year old girls training just a couple more hours than their 8 year old boy counterparts.

but for both, 21-24 hours a week are too many. in fact, it's not healthy. i don't care what anyone says. :)

Sorry, I posted that the OP was talking about a boy and that the two are not generally comparable, for the reasons Dunno stated above. It was not meant to be rude, but since you are new and I don't know you, I deleted it because I re-read it and didn't want to come across as dismissive of your post. Sorry if you took offense. My point was that her situation is different than what you are talking about, and just wanted to point out this is the MAG forum.

is there a post missing between your 2 posts? did a moderator remove something i can't see? can't make sense of it.

anyway, it does matter just a bit. us boys are physically less developed even at 8. so typically you will find 8 year old girls training just a couple more hours than their 8 year old boy counterparts.

but for both, 21-24 hours a week are too many. in fact, it's not healthy. i don't care what anyone says. :)

I think it depends on how practices are structured. My son's practices have a lot of "standing around" time waiting for your turn to use the equipment. For some reason they don't do a lot of stations so sometimes there are 3-5 boys on any one piece of equipment. Also they tend to goof around a lot more than the girls :p In contrast my daughter's practices hardly has any dead time at all because they set up a lot of stations with only 1-2 girls at each. I bet she gets more turns/reps in her 12 hours than he does in his 20.

With that many hours, it just seems like either it's too much training for that age or a lot of time is being wasted. Either way, not a good thing and not likely to improve the chances of longevity in the sport. Seriously, our optional parents' biggest gripe is that the boys waste too much time and should be doing more work in fewer hours a week.

I am thinking my son needs to reduce to 16 hrs per week, max. As to what he does, they also get 20 minute breaks every day, and yes, lots of sitting around, standing in line, time wasted.

There is a gym south of my town that trains ANY kid willing to make the 9-4 commitment. That includes 8 year olds together with elites. Oh, and that's 6 days a week. Homeschool.

My feelings on this are too intense about this. And my son is NOT in this program.

My son has been reduced to 16 hours per week. Ironically, my son's teammate has a parent who pushed the 20+ hours on her son, plus has him go to a workout gym and does strength training with him at home. Well, that boy is now out of the gym, after requesting a month long break. His parent claimed it was the boy who wanted the hours and could "live at the gym". I try to get my son to take gym days off, but he always says no.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back