Parents TOPS Question???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymmieC

Proud Parent
Okay. Let me preface first that my DD is not a TOPs girl. She is at a new gym that does do TOPs , but Dd is not involved. And let me say that my question is not in regards to any of the girls or parents at DD's gym either.
What I want to know is Why do so many parents put so much stock in this program? I have heard it said time and time again that TOPs is definitely not the end all of gymnastics. However, I have seen too much crazy over this one program. Some parents think that because their DDs are involved that elite training, etc is just around the corner. If their DDs make a camp, forget it...some are jumping and beside themselves thinking their DDs are headed for the olympics. They set up private after private in the attempts to have their DDs acquire skills to set them apart and perhaps be chosen for a developmental camp... I have heard some crazy comments from moms who were there at National training. These moms were in such awe over what they heard spoken by other parents at NT. Anything can happen is what I truly believe. Those talented gymmies and some who are NOT involved in TOPs as long as they themselves are destined to reach their goals because of their own passion and dedication have a greater chance at going elite , at least in my opinion, then those who have overzealous, pushy, crazed parents. Why don't these CGMs realize that before it is too late? I guess like many things I just seek understanding. I try not being judgmental, but in cases like these I often struggle and say "What is wrong with these people?!"
I don't mean to offend anyone. I simply want to understand. I am a teacher, and because of that I consider myself an advocate for children. Some of these kids look so unhappy...Thank you!

It is exciting to be acknowledged by the nation's sole governing body in gymnastics (USAG) as a gymnast with the potential, talent, skills to reach the elite level. Thousands of talented kids test on the state level, about three hundred make national testing and about 60 make the A team and 60 the B. The skills and strength abilities these girls are required to do is pretty amazing. It certainly is cause for excitement. Just being at the ranch where our great gymnasts have trained is exciting. For that moment, these young gymnasts are top in their game. These 8-10 year old can do things 90% of the other gymnasts cannot do. As a patent, it is exciting to be put in that category. However, some parents do take it over the top and take it to the extreme. They are not aware that only a handful of these gymnasts will get to the elite level for various reasons, not necessarily lack of talent.

TOPS is a big thing for young gymnasts. It is a great accomplishment. For anyone familiar with TOPS, these kids have distinguished themselves as top athletes. For any parent to be told that is quite exhilarating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back