WAG training and pain - how much is acceptable?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

My right wrist has started to hurt lately. I always felt the right one more during training, but this time I am pretty sure it's injured. It doens't hurt out of training but when I put force on it I feel it a lot. It feels as if something abuts on something else, aggrevating pain. I also feel it a little bit when I want do grab something, like a plate!

If I do normal cartwheels and handstands and don't jump into them hardly it's fine.

I won't do anything that aggrevates too much pain. I read in other posts, that some level of pain is normal. But how much?

Is there any treatment for it? (beside strengthening?)
How long does something like this usually take to go away completely? I really would like to start serious training again once it's gone to avoid further damage!!!

um, no. not when your idle and it feels fine. but as soon as you put "force" on it it changes. time to go to the Doc. :)

How long have you been having pain? If you have been training a lot lately it could be your body feeling overused. Take it easy on your wrists for a little bit, and see if it goes away. If the pain comes out of nowhere (not specifically wrist pain but any pain such as wrist, ankle, knee, etc.) I usually tell my gymnasts to wait a couple weeks before they rush into the doctor-- usually it goes away. However if it still hurts then you might want to go see one. Also you could try tiger paws. They give your wrists support and many gymnasts find them helpful.

Hope this helps!

Every time I felt pain...I was actually injured.

Yeah I don't know, I'm kind of lucky when it comes to injuries because I'm not prone to them at all and have never had lower body pain or injuries. But I've not really just felt pain while doing gymnastics and considered that normal. Discomfort sure. I know some people do but I find that fairly concerning. I don't think "pain" should just be normal unless we mean muscle soreness which is fairly distinguishable for someone older.

I do have a fairly significant wrist problem but it still didn't cause all the time pain, just intense strike pain that went away after a minute or two (well, until I was told to stop using wrist supports because they just cause weakness. Did a yurchenko about a day in and that was the end of that). But that is because I have an issue with the cartilage, so it isn't "normal". And anyway it still doesn't hurt all the time. Or if for example I did a handstand or something that wasn't jumping on it. Sometimes if you do a lot of handstands/presses or whatever your wrists feel sore and I think that's something to watch but it's not what I'd describe as pain.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back