Off Topic transition away from gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

stargazer

Gymnast
Reaction score
Just for some background: I'm 19 and a Level 5, and have been in competitive for 3 years but doing gym since I was 12. I absolutely love the sport and my body craves it after a few days off, but I'm training with girls aged 12-16 and as I'm in 2nd year university would very much like to have a group of friends my own age. As well, I'm at the highest level I can get without going Provincial and sadly my school schedule is way too crazy to get into that. Plus it's a ton of money that - at my age anyways - would otherwise be used for moving out or something of the sort.

I will probably go the the adult rec classes that my gym offers to keep myself from going though withdrawal ;) but I'm trying to decide what sports/activities to get into, and where I can find a solid group of friends my own age. I'm interested in learning hip-hop, but I'm a bit shy and not a particularly gifted dancer - judging from nearly no experience though. I was wondering if you have any advice on the situation in general? I've considered cheerleading but I know a few girls on the team say it's very drama-filled and I don't think I want to get into that.

Thanks!

I know what you mean by training with people half your age etc (i am 17 and the next oldest is 14 so similar age gap) luckily for me I get along great with all of them and couldn't imagine my life without them! I am also rather shy so similar kinda situation only i don't have to move on from gym yet

Anyway, you are at uni so why don't join a club, go to some parties, try a new sport (maybe a low key basket ball comp) and just see who you come across, you will be surprised who you meet. Also, in your classes, surely you are not alone, maybe start by sitting next to someone and at the end of the lesson ask if they want to grab coffee or something, she can then introduce you to all of her friends etc!

If you want something both active and social, I know a LOT of former gymnasts (myself included) who have gone on to things like rock climbing and swing dancing (which are pretty much nothing alike except that they're fun).

If you're looking for another competitive sport to replace gym, sorry-I've got nuthin that you didn't think of by yourself.

When I quit gymnastics as a teenager I took up Tai Chi. It is really different from gymnastics in that it is rather flow-y and loose rather than tight and controlled, but I found that my strength, balance and flexibility from gymnastics really served me well and I progressed with it really quickly. I chose Tai Chi because it is a bit more mellow and doesn't have the emphasis on sparring that some other forms of martial arts have -- the Tai Chi forms reminded me of gym routines. Martial arts in general though don't really cap at any age, and you find adults of all ages competing and doing well with Karate, Kung Fu (which, at higher levels, has some acrobatic elements as well, so maybe a good gym substitute), Taekwondo etc . With my Tai Chi class I was actually the youngest one, which was a nice change since, like you, I was always the oldest at gym.

If you'd like to stay involved in gymnastics, how about coaching or judging? I helped coach the younger kids from the time I was about 13 onwards and I really enjoyed it. As a coach your peer group will be other coaches and there are a lot of men and women your age involved in coaching.

Diving and cheer tend to be the sports many gymnasts go into after retiring in gymnastics.

See if your college has a club gymnastics team or look into other sports clubs, etc. Go to the adult class or coach so you get some time in the gym and don't lose that "home" if you like.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back