Parents Ugh. Now worried about DS's wrist.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
3 weeks and a day ago DS fell at school recess. He was playing tag, running on concrete. Another kid (not playing tag) kicked a ball, it rolled in front of DS as he ran by, he tripped on it. Another kid told him that he "looked like Superman for a few seconds". So apparently he flew through the air before landing on the concrete on his elbow. He had scrapes on his elbow, it was swollen. Went to the orthopedist and there was a buckle fracture. He was put in a cast for 3 weeks (almost - it was 3 weeks on Monday; but the cast came off Friday). the doctor said that once he had full mobility in the elbow back he could start working on strength. By Friday night he could fully extend his arm and fully bend it.

For the weekend he swam; but that was about it. He went to practice on Monday and mostly worked on strength stuff; but insisted that his elbow didn't hurt at all. He tried a back handspring. His elbow didn't hurt at all; but his wrist did. :confused: He tried the mushroom. Elbow was fine, wrist hurt. o_O Back to just strength stuff.

Today he didn't do much of anything; but when I asked he said his elbow still hurts. He said it hurts for stuff like back handsprings and pommel; but that it is fine for little things like cartwheels. He then showed me. Except that it hurt. :eek:

He showed me where it hurts and it is where he did have a scrape from his fall. We never even checked the wrist since the elbow is what he was complaining about. But now I'm wondering if something is up with the wrist and the elbow just hurt MORE at the time, so that is what he was focused on.

I'm going to call the orthopedist in the morning to hopefully get him in to get the wrist checked out. Fingers crossed it is just sore from being in the cast; but it still has point tenderness right where one of the scrapes was (the scrape is healed; but the skin is pink where it has healed).

I hope it is nothing or at least easily fixed! Why is it they get hurt when NOT at gymnastics. Sometimes I think the safest place IS the gym :)

Oh no. That stinks! I hope it is just sore and tender, but that point tenderness would worry me too! you would think if something was wrong, then the time in the cast should have fixed it too. Keep us posted!

Was his wrist partially immobilized in the cast? If so, he may need some time to regain full mobility and may need to take it a little easy while it's coming back.

Best of luck with this..... I really hope it is nothin serious!

Was his wrist partially immobilized in the cast? If so, he may need some time to regain full mobility and may need to take it a little easy while it's coming back.

His wrist was fully immobilized in the cast and yesterday that is what I was writing this off to. I'm a little more concerned about it today now that I realize it still has point tenderness; but hopefully it is just from being in the cast.

I ended up talking to the ortho's office. They feel pretty certain that the issue is that the wrist was immobilized while in the cast. They want him to work on strengthening exercises for another week and then come back in if it is still giving him problems. There is no swelling and he can use it (it just hurts), so they don't think it sounds like it is broken (and if by chance it was, it should have set while in the cast).

So, fingers crossed that it will get better. he did tell me tonight that it doesn't hurt as much today as it did Monday.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back