um.... ouch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Like NAM, I was not that surprised by the dance video, having been to many dance competitions. This one is extreme with the lingerie styled costumes that left nothing about the intention to the imagination combined with the moves and song. But this was only the logical conclusion of the culture at these competitions, and the constant attempts to push the limits. This dance likely did well (the kids are good dancers!) and they'll use that to justify it. But again...the kids are good dancers for their age (only about 7-9) so I'm guessing they could pull together quite a nice dance with anything.

And I agree not all cheer gyms have suggestive routines. Some are very sensitive to this. However I've seen mini or junior cheer routines that are about as suggestive in some of their content, though the costumes, no matter how skimpy they're cut, aren't as explicitly suggestive in their styling, so there's that at least. The costimes are the worst part of this performance imo...even if you think there's nothing wrong with letting kids dance like anything, surely it's wrong to dress them in costumes that have explicit overtones. There's no subletly in those outfits whatsoever. No adult looked that over and missed it. It's not the midriffs, it's not the tightness, it's the actual styling of the costume that is objectionable.

Don't get me wrong. I'm 110% with you calling it crap and I'll be the last one to let any dance teacher choreograph such numbers for my kids (especially at this age). In fact, if they insist, I think it's time for us to run.

I was just saying you can't save the world. Sometimes, we just have to turn the other way.

Very sadly, many dance studio overly use these moves in their numbers to gain an edge. Even though good judges look for clean, age appropriate and technical performances, just as many don't because that is what the general audience want. I mean just check out cheesy productions like "You Think You Can Dance" or "Dancing with the Stars". There is so much emphasis on sex appeal seduction on those shows. Have you ever seen a good tap number do well?

Oh yeah! It's embarrassing to see little girls dance like that!!!! I've seen tap do well on America's Got Talent, but no better than 5th place. I gave up tap and jazz and focused on ballet and pointe just for that reason when I was a kid.

We aren't religious but I had to choose a church league for Bella to cheer with because I am very sensitive about what I see as the early sexualization of children. I don't think it's appropriate to little girls to be shaking their hips and butts toward audiences in a cheer.

In the same way, I don't allow Bella to wear shorts or sweatpants with anything written across her derriere. I see no reason for her to draw attention to her butt.

We have a girl doing prep op in our gym (well several but.....) and in her routine she is on her knees and does a second or two of shoulder shimmies. She's maybe nine? I'm sorry, but if that's my child, I'm taking to the HC about altering the routine. I don't see it as cute at all. To me, it's just inappropriate. Apparently her mom is okay with it and that must work for their family but it woudn't work in ours.

Go to youtube. Type in Dancing Divas or Elite Prancing Pearls. See what you get. I saw these groups while photographing an event. They were using the stage for practice while the event was going on around them. The mom's were coaching/teaching them. I could hear things like split those legs more, hit the ground. Shake your booty more. If you don't do it, then your are OFF and CUT from the squad. I think they call themselves drill teams, but I don't know. I would never allow my daughters to participate. It looks like they are being trained to swing from a pole. Seriously look them up. Here is one link
YouTube - Elite Prancing Pearls

Go to youtube. Type in Dancing Divas or Elite Prancing Pearls. See what you get. I saw these groups while photographing an event. They were using the stage for practice while the event was going on around them. The mom's were coaching/teaching them. I could hear things like split those legs more, hit the ground. Shake your booty more. If you don't do it, then your are OFF and CUT from the squad. I think they call themselves drill teams, but I don't know. I would never allow my daughters to participate. It looks like they are being trained to swing from a pole. Seriously look them up. Here is one link
YouTube - Elite Prancing Pearls

putting aside the whole issue of their tastefulness, their poor choreography (they really only did the same half dozen moves the entire time) and horrible technique (all those unpointed feet and bent knees during kicks - trying to kick higher and not caring how that was achieved) drove me nuts!!! I had to turn it off half way through, yuck!! At least the little 7yr olds had great technique and were fabulous dancers. Again, putting aside the tastefulness of of the choreography, the little ones were awesome dancers.

Agreed with NOG

I would probably be a similar age maybe a bit younger than the older girls and 1, i would never wear that costume 2, my mother would probably sue the person who designed it on the grounds of making us look like prostitutes.

And i agree there technique was horrendous unlike the 7 year olds

haah same with my mum she would be like im gunna write a letter lol. i liked the 7 yo's except for the 'yucky' moves i liked their tecnique although i do think their coreographer should be shot hehe :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back