Coaches Uneven bars "kombi" / "bar buddy" experience

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

MarcoPauGym

Coach
Gymnast
Hi all, does anybody have any experience with these product?

I am renovating the gym and among the many aspects, I was thinking if I could find an easier way to work UB.

These "bar buddy" or Spieth's "kombi" are examples, but I have seen some Gymnova too in the videos.

Otherwise, I will just stick to regular competition UB and use the other apparatuses (we have both U pit and single rail frames) :)

Thanks a bunch!

We have 3 of the Gymnova kind, they are fantastic. You can put a metal rail in either the high or low bar. Take the low bar out for giants or releases on the high bar and then add an elastic across for the exact low bar placement when ready without the usual “it feels feels different than the pit bar/ single rail” etc. It only takes 30 secs, and is easy/safe enough for the girls to do themselves.

We didn’t do it to save space but it gives you so many easy options in the same space and could definitely save you space if that is an issue.

We have 3 of the Gymnova kind, they are fantastic. You can put a metal rail in either the high or low bar. Take the low bar out for giants or releases on the high bar and then add an elastic across for the exact low bar placement when ready without the usual “it feels feels different than the pit bar/ single rail” etc. It only takes 30 secs, and is easy/safe enough for the girls to do themselves.

We didn’t do it to save space but it gives you so many easy options in the same space and could definitely save you space if that is an issue.
Thanks a bunch. Could you please provide the exact model or picture so that I can check it out?

We have 2 x

REF : 3245

RIO COMPETITION ASYMMETRIC BARS - SHORT CABLE - NATURAL FIBRE HAND-RAIL

The natural fibre hand rails last so much better than the wood. We were replacing the wood rails every 12 months due to the wood rubbing off through to the fibreglass but have had the natural fibre fails for 3 years with no sign of damage.

We also have 1 set of

REF : 3275

TRAINING ASYMMETRIC BARS - SHORT CABLE

These are great for the little ones as you can set them much shorter so they are safe but with the same feel as the regular sets.

Thanks again! I've seen those bars in some gyms around here.

Does one manage to share the same anchor point between the low rail and the rear cable of the high rail? I will recess the anchor points in my floor thus it'd be nice if I could make it with 4 points instead of 6.

Going back to the low rail removal: so do these uneven bars allow you to stay without the low rail with no need of bar buddy systems or similar?

Also: I read one guy saying 3275 can go as high as 255 cm (FIG newer height), you got a clue? Gymnova's website is saying it goes only to 245.

In case you can go FIG height, would you consider 3275 suitable for competition routines or you would stick to the Rio model?

Thru pictures, the only difference seems to be the uprights height, and the regulation bar which is slightly different. Rest of the frame looks exactly the same... That's also why I was asking myself why they anchor the red model on 6 points and the white (Rio) ones on 4 points. That is quite weird.

Thanks a lot for your support!

We use the short cabling, so 6 anchor points but much less space used for the cables, we could fit 3 rows of bars across instead of 2. I think the standard length cables use 4 anchor points but take up an extra 2 metres of width and 1.50m of length with the cables (2.10 x 4.00m vs 4.00x 5.50m).

From memory, the training set came with height extenders (maybe 15cm-20cm tall) that slotted into the base of the upright during set up, but then you can’t put them down so low which defeats the purpose. The training set also moves in and out by 5cm increments and the competition set by 2cm. If you are only getting 1 set I would definitely go with the competition set. The taller girls don’t fit on the training set without the extenders.

When you take the low bar out you don’t need to do anything, it is perfectly stable. I think because the upright is vertical and has its 2 support cables, it is effectively a single bar.

Thanks a bunch! Didn't know about the extenders, I am calling the local Gymnova dealer for info, I bet they have been facing huge amount of requests especially since they raised the bars last olympics.

About the 6 anchor points, Gymnova's website was showing the short cable versions same as long cable versions so they all were shown with 4 anchor points, that misled me. Thanks for pointing that out too.

One more question if you don't mind: are the increment bars in the training apparatus well functioning? I have never been fond of Gymnova since all the apparatuses I used to have had faults on some mechanisms while Spieth's and Fonti's (local producer) last pretty much forever. But I need to recognize that these UB sets have many pro's!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back