WAG Unitards for competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, it's the 2009 FIG code that is the first to list unitard/leggings under competition attire. The previous FIG codes just say a leotard that is not cut past the hip bone is competition attire. Past the hip bone means how high it can be cut, not how low. The current FIG code is also the first to point out how low a leotard can be cut. A horizontal line around the leg 2 cm below the buttock. The FIG allowed leotards with narrow shoulder straps in the 2001 code. The 1993 and 1997 FIG codes says they aren't allowed but they may have been allowed before that. Sleeveless was allowed according to the USAG rules and policies manual at least in 1997. Some older FIG codes make no mention of attire at all. That information may have been mentioned some place else at the time and I don't know when it was first added.

Somebody asked if the coach knew that the men wear leotards too. The males also wear competition shorts and pants over their singlet. If women were allowed to wear at least shorts he probably wouldn't be talking about unitards right now.

On the general topic of mens vs women's attire, does anyone know why men wear the stirrup pants for all the events except floor and vault? Why don't they just wear the close-cropped shorts on all the apparatus? Maybe pommel horse is good with the pants for more slickery-ness, but Rings and bars doesn't make sense to me....

And though I'm all for equality, the last thing I would want to see is the men shed their shorts and wear only the leos like the ladies! Eek. Ok for swimmers in a pool, but too much going on in every direction for the male gymnast. lol.

I don't get how a biketard would be more modest than a leotard. The center back seam on a biketard makes it more clingy and revealing than a leotard.

As a parent I would be concerned about the coaching experience, professionalism, and general creepiness of a coach who banned leotards, either in practice or in competition. This policy is just weird, and it is not the same thing as insisting on something like belly coverage in a cheer uniform.

I've seen biketards that cling and biketards that don't. I'm not sure how this is accomplished but leotards that cling seem to do so because they haven't been fitted properly. Perhaps it is the same with biketards. Or perhaps it is due to a combination of fit and design. Some biketards could be designed to clean and some could be designed not to.

On the general topic of mens vs women's attire, does anyone know why men wear the stirrup pants for all the events except floor and vault? Why don't they just wear the close-cropped shorts on all the apparatus? Maybe pommel horse is good with the pants for more slickery-ness, but Rings and bars doesn't make sense to me....

The boys wear long pants with stirrups to accentuate the ideal straight lines in those events... Not supposed to have legs touching pommel....

And though I'm all for equality, the last thing I would want to see is the men shed their shorts and wear only the leos like the ladies! Eek. Ok for swimmers in a pool, but too much going on in every direction for the male gymnast. lol.
Short pants can get caught on the bars or rings under the hands so they wear the long pants that are looped to there feet! At least that shat our boys Hc told me when I asked... :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back