Parents Uptraining Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3LittleGymmies

Proud Parent
As the result of a move, my daughter switched from a gym that did no up-training at all (until after states) to one that up-trains year-round. This has been a really positive change for her, because it keeps her excited and engaged and she has gained a lot of confidence. There has not been an advanced skill yet that they have introduced that she has not been able to obtain. I'm definitely not complaining, because she is loving gymnastics again - where last season (at her old gym), she was getting bored doing the same thing every practice and even talked about quitting. She was a Level 4 last year and is a new Level 4 this year. My question is... if your gym uptrains, do they train the skills for the next level up? Beyond that? Is it "unusual" to uptrain more than one level up? This is what has me a little confused, although my daughter is loving it and I really don't have an issue with it, just honestly curious. Her group is working on Level 7 skills, but not with the intention of having them skip through levels quickly. I think it's just so that they are better optionals once they get there? That seems like their approach from what I can gather, anyway. I am not an expert by any means... but they are working on front layouts, baby giants - I think they're called (and a lot of other crazy looking bar stuff that I'm clueless about), some kind of round off vault, series on beam, etc. My daughter already has all of the new Level 5 skills and the new Level 4 season just started. I would say, from what I see, that they spend about 75% of their practice time uptraining. Does anyone else's gym uptrain this way, and not with the purpose of just moving them up once they have the skills for the next level? Her gym is not a gym that wins every time or seems concerned about winning every time, so I truly don't think it's to keep them back so that they can "win".

My DDs gym is similar. She is competing level 4 currently but working giants on strap bar, yurchenko timers, back handsprings on beam etc. So yes, sounds similar to us :) although I think the plan is to score out of 5 and go to 6 next year.

Thanks, @Oopski! That could very well be their plan.. although I don't think they're that big into skipping levels. You seem to know a lot of the technical terms that I don't, ha! Thanks for the help :).

yes, there are lots of gyms that train 2+ years ahead and it seems to become more prevalent as the girls go higher in the levels because the skills take longer to learn and perfect.

btw, scoring out of 5 and going to 6 isn't really skipping since the levels are so similar - just that one is compulsory and one is optional. L6 was added for those not ready to make the jump from old 6 to L7 (which stayed the same). I suspect many gyms will either do what oopski stated or compete 5 and skip 6 (which is not a required level)

yes, there are lots of gyms that train 2+ years ahead and it seems to become more prevalent as the girls go higher in the levels because the skills take longer to learn and perfect.

btw, scoring out of 5 and going to 6 isn't really skipping since the levels are so similar - just that one is compulsory and one is optional. L6 was added for those not ready to make the jump from old 6 to L7 (which stayed the same). I suspect many gyms will either do what oopski stated or compete 5 and skip 6 (which is not a required level)
Just want to say that our gym does not treat level 6 like level 5, only with optional routines. We treat it a lot more like "jr level 7" so that the transition to those upper levels is easier.

As far as uptraining, we also individualize that a bit. The "stronger" girls at a certain level might work skills that are more like 2 levels ahead while other will work skills one level ahead. It depends on the kids and what makes sense for them. Similarly, some may be able to work floor skills 2 levels ahead but only one level ahead on beam.

After all of the announcements by USAG about what levels the gymnast would be able to compete, based on the old levels, they made a change... ORIGINALLY, you could not compete New 6 unless you had competed Old 6 and scored a 31... but then, you could also go to L7. Well AFTER the coaches were all told that... and many had score out meets to allow girls to get their score at Old 6, USAG decided that a gymnast could really compete New 5 AND New 6 interchangeably... compete as a 6, then as a 5, then as a 6... and go back and forth.

So, these gyms that are uptraining 2+ years ahead will actually have a lot of options for their gymnasts.

In our gym, we uptrain whenever there is a break between meets. On airtrak, they can uptrain 2+ levels and only when they are consistent there do we move it down to the floor. Friday, we had a L3 doing beautiful ROBHSBT on the floor with excellent height!

they're doing gymnastics. nice to hear. :)

I love this. Our HC is always saying "we teach gymnastics, not levels".

The new way that 5/6/7 are set up seems to leave the coaches a lot of flexibility on how to progress through the transition to optionals. Although confusing, I think this is a really good thing.

Sounds like OPs gym is setting them up well for that transition.

Our gym uptrains 2+ levels as well. My DD is only a L3 and has got her BWO on beam and is working BHS on beam. She has her ROBHSBT and front tuck on floor is is starting to work layouts. She is going over the vault table but that still needs LOTS of work. I always pray they aren't working vault when I go to get her because it makes me so nervous. But she's only 7 and really short. Her coach assures me that it will get better lol. She hasn't learned as big of skills on bars yet because she is still struggling with her kip so anytime on bars is mainly spent working on that, but her coach has introduced clear hip circles and flyaways.

Her coach is planning on skipping L5 and going straight to 6 with her. But only time will tell.

Our gym trains the next logical progression. D will say that he checked off skill x, skill y, and then moved on to skill z. Or got to work on Skill a. (I have no idea what they are). but it always seems to be progressions. If they are ready for the next skill, they go on. If they aren't they work on the skill they need. I like that philosophy a lot because it keeps him excited!

Our gym trains the next logical progression. D will say that he checked off skill x, skill y, and then moved on to skill z. Or got to work on Skill a. (I have no idea what they are). but it always seems to be progressions. If they are ready for the next skill, they go on. If they aren't they work on the skill they need. I like that philosophy a lot because it keeps him excited!

Just commenting on the quote from your DS in your siggy - my DD said the same thing earlier this year when we were having trouble deciding whether she should compete L4 or L5! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back