Parents Uptraining..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

I have seen uptraining mentioned a lot on these forums, what exactly does it mean and when does it usually take place? I am quite new to competitive gymnastics and I cannot tell if what my dd's do is uptraining or normal training.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am completly clueless about a lot of aspects of gymnastics and what like to learn more.

We have a different system to the states ours acquire skills all year round and do not have a competition season per se. P&F could compete (UK) level 4 atm, but doesn't yet have her giant on wood and so wouldn't get her bonuses or medal so until she gets them she will probable still compete 5, but could move up at any time.

As the states has one linear progression coupled with a "season" they do things differently

We have a different system to the states ours acquire skills all year round and do not have a competition season per se. P&F could compete (UK) level 4 atm, but doesn't yet have her giant on wood and so wouldn't get her bonuses or medal so until she gets them she will probable still compete 5, but could move up at any time.

As the states has one linear progression coupled with a "season" they do things differently

I am still trying to figure out how things work in the uk, take. grades for example, once you get a pass, merit or distinction on that grade do you move up before the next grades competition (even if it is the same year) or do you still stay the same grade until next year.

For example for oldest dd just got a Distinction for her Grade, they may be competing in the British Championships at the end of the year, would they compete the same grade or the next grade up?

up training basically means training higher level skills than you are currently competing. So you may compete a RO BHS BT, but be working on straight backs and twists in training. It's not so obvious in the UK as Margo says as you don't need a complete new skill set for each new year. Also we have fewer comps and no "season" so most clubs pretty much up train all year round, then focus on routines the month or so before a comp.

As to your grades question, I think you compete the same grade each calendar year. You can move up voluntarily, but the compulsory move up tends to be the following year. Will the british champs follow the grade format or be a voluntary comp though? I would have assumed the latter.

People will use the term to talk abotu doing skills that are not required in your level,or may be several levels above. I am not a fan of the word, but just instead like to think of it as acquiring the next skill. IMO, kids should always be working the next thing, drills, practice, what have you, in addition to polishing current skills. I had never heard the term uptraining until here!

Here's an example. In the US the girls compete a front handspring vault from (new) level 4 through level 7. They aren't allowed to compete yurchenkos or tsuks until level 8. But starting last summer our level 6 girls were all doing yurchenko drills. Many of them won't compete a vault like that until 2016, but it takes so long to master the skills that they start the training years ahead of time. Well, that, and they get bored with the FHS vault!

Uptraining, at least in our gym, means training for the next level. For instance, DD is almost done competing Lvl 3 (state in a couple of weeks), but has been working on her kips, cartwheel on beam and FHS vault (and probably other things) over the entire season on a sporadic basis, but more seriously now. This is uptraining. So while they are working on Lvl 4 skills for next year's competition season they are also drilling things for the following year (front and back tucks and something else I can't remember).

Uptraining for us means that we are working on skills for the next couple of levels while still competing the current level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back