WAG Using goals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

BarCoach

Coach
Reaction score
I had my kids write goals for themselves for the summer. I left it very open. Just said a couple goals on each event, their choice of date. How do I use them for the most motivation? Do I offer any reward for reaching them?

my daughter found that just acheiving her goal was motivation enough

No reward should be required. My daughter wrote goals for herself. The goals are so exciting that they are completely motivating for my daughter.

However the head coach told my daughter that when she masters a particular REALLY difficult skill, she can have her photo on the wall with what seems to be the gym's elite representative gymnasts (I'm not sure of the usual criteria for getting your picture on that wall). That's also extremely motivating for her!

we have stars on the wall with their names and the skill on them

There are some coaches who have their kids lines up at the beginning of practice and state one of their goals for that day (or that summer), and then at the end of practice they say something that they did to accomplish that goal. I've seen this method work incredibly well.

GymcoachR2, I really like that. Definitely going to use that sometimes.

I would say just reminding them of their goals or to be thinking about their goals as they work. A set-up like GymCoachR2 suggested would be great, or just reminding them to be thinking about specific goals at the start/end of practice (maybe during warm-ups and end of practice stretching if you do it when their brains are a little more free to "wander"). Or give them time at the end of practices to work on a goals journal or folder. A place they can keep their written goals and report back daily/weekly on what they have done to reach their goals and where they have maybe fallen a little short.

A brief "awards ceremony" once a week to recognize any child's significant progress toward their goal. Make it fun and really "ham it up."

CoachMolly and iwannacoach, thank you for those ideas. I'll definitely use both of them. I'd like to use journals but think some of the kids might not take it seriously. Most of them are 8 and 9. Anyone used journals with that age group?

I have in the past. I like it, but not as much as some other things. I like things that the kids can see every day, whether its on the wall in the gym or just the ritual of vocalizing what their goals are every day.

Btw, here is a really awesome video John Geddert posted on his Facebook of something he's doing in his gym. Im sure it could be adapted to "you get a rock every time you take another "step" (whatever that is) towards your goal"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152786016840445&set=vb.848600444&type=3

I think journals could work for that age group, but they might appreciate something a little more accessible. You could have them write their goals and stick them up on the wall so they can see them daily and a means for documenting progress- a sticker for or something. When a kid reaches their goal as written on the sheet, take the paper off the wall and make a big deal of presenting it to the kid in front of the group.

I like the idea on John Geddert's video. I feel like that method would allow for working towards personal goals but also encourage working towards a greater group goal if there was one. And if there isn't really a group goal, I think it would be okay to "celebrate" when everyone has reached their personal goal and you've reached the top of the mountain (or whatever structure you use). Just something simple like an awards ceremony or tramp time.

We write goals every week and if we write our goals, our coach writes us a letter in our notebook talking about our progress for the week. If we reach a goal, we get a gem and the person with the most gems at a certain point in time gets a prize and is recognized at the banquet.

Great ideas everyone. Keep them coming! I like having a lot to choose from so I can mix it up.

Goal setting is very important for success in any activity (or life undertaking!). There is some great advice here on this thread. I would add however two things:
1. that while stating a goal (even better before witnesses!) is great, WRITING it somewhere (a journal or a GOAL BOARD) where it can be reflected upon(!) is very important.
2. Even more important - once a goal is stated - they need to be required to strategically analyze the goal - that is define the waypoints between NOW and successfully achieving that goal. Do they expect this to happen in today's practice - this week? - this season?? or when? Ask the gymnast repeatedly "What must you do to achieve that goal? Answer? A subgoal (progression or lead up skill)... then ask them again! and again for the next responses. THEN!!! They have identified a "plan." AND hopefully many targets that they can celebrate hitting - and as we all know "Nothing succeeds like success!"

Ganba!
Steve

There are some coaches who have their kids lines up at the beginning of practice and state one of their goals for that day (or that summer), and then at the end of practice they say something that they did to accomplish that goal. I've seen this method work incredibly well.

I actually did this when I was a club gymnast (six years ago). This helped me dial in to my gymnastics more and focus on what I need to accomplish, rather then just going through the motions on each event/skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back