Anon Vault height

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (ef46)

Question, my son was super excited about his vault settings changing. It seems like they are quite drastic, but maybe it’s normal for his age and level? I know everyone has different settings. He’s 11 and level 8. He’s been vaulting with the table at 125 and using 6 springs. Today it just changed to 135 with 8 springs! Wowza! I would think that would be much more difficult. But he tried doing a Kaz and he was able to do it three times into the pit. It was his first time really trying it. He’s never been much of a vaulter either. Are these pretty normal settings? How much more will they change when he actually hits puberty and gets much bigger? I’ve never looked at the max before. I coach rec boys so just really interested. Thanks!

They are raising the table just shy of 4 inches. If he was bottoming out the springboard with 6 springs, it makes sense to add springs. The addition of the extra springs (and not bottoming out) would give him more power, which explains the increase in table height.
If it makes you feel any better, my YG was bottoming out the springboard with 5 springs when she was 10 and wore size 6-8 in girls clothes. We had to move her up to 6 springs and raised the vault table from 100 to 110.

Reactions: sun
Ok that makes
They are raising the table just shy of 4 inches. If he was bottoming out the springboard with 6 springs, it makes sense to add springs. The addition of the extra springs (and not bottoming out) would give him more power, which explains the increase in table height.
If it makes you feel any better, my YG was bottoming out the springboard with 5 springs when she was 10 and wore size 6-8 in girls clothes. We had to move her up to 6 springs and raised the vault table from 100 to 110.
Ok that makes sense, thanks. I thought it would have been much more than 4 inches lol. In my head it was a very drastic change. He said the board is a lot more stiff now but he needs that for the bigger vaults. He’s always been more of a pommel guy and vault has been a “weaker” event. It seems like it may be clicking now and he’s got more power.

135 (centimeters) is the highest vault table setting and 9 springs is the most you can fit in a board, though there's variance here because springs range from squishy to very stiff. I'm a grown man 180~ lbs and I use 8 springs at 135, but I've used 6 stiff springs and 9 squishy springs at other gyms.

I don't really coach boys, but if he's landing Kaz's on those settings at age 11, it sounds like he's pretty quick/powerful.

I'm guessing the coach moved him up in springs because he was bottoming out on his old spring setting - the idea here is you want to get the board down low, but not so low you hit the floor. Extra springs send him higher... then the table gets adjusted up to meet his trajectory.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back