Parents We do this because

• Thread starter Thread starter Gymnastdad
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
G

Gymnastdad

Apologies BW you're right ma'am post deleted, lets just say it's a totally confused and probably overprotective Dad...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I do not know what kind of club your child goes to, but my kids have never cried in conditioning, in fact the only time they have creid in gym is when they have hurt themselves, and that has been very rare!

It may be that the gym your child is in is not the right one for her, and therefore not the right one for you.

If my girls said they wanted to quit, I would say finish out the season and then you can stop. Not quit, just finish up and move on.

I get that you are pissed about this, but it certainly isn't everyones experience in the gym. If you don't like it pull her out of the gym, step up and be the parent. DO not let a 9 year dictate what she wants.

I do not know what you "DO" or why you "DO IT" but it is not the way things work in my house. "pain no gain" is not our motto, if it isn't fun then they aren't doing it, and if I want them to stop they will.

Is that want you wanted to read? It bothers me that you have only come here to share in such an angry way instead of coming and asking for advice or support. You can easily vent and not have it be such a rant. Please give it a go.

My first thought after reading your post Gymnastdad was "then why not just pull her from the sport and find something else???" I mean, I really don't understand the point of your post/rant. If you are really that unhappy then take her out of the sport--plain and simple. YOU are the parent and you should be responsible for her well being (and yours). There is no law saying that your dd HAS to do gymnastics so if it is that painful for you, then take her out. Or stop complaining and try to have a better attitude and learn from the more experienced parents here who have been through it.

And like Bog said, not all parents on here have their kids do gymnastics for the same reasons. My dd as well, has never cried at gymnastics because of conditioning and loves going to practice and more times than not leaves with the biggest smile on her face from the experience. My dd and I both know that it is NOT about the gold medal, or 1st place, or scores or winning or even having her name on a banner. We both know that it is about going out there everyday (in the gym AND in daily life) and giving it your all. Some days are going to be better than others but it is the effort and attitude that matters.

I didn't read the first one, but I will finish the sentence. :)

We do this because we love our children. We love the way their faces light up when they "get" a concept or skill. We love the way they enjoy exercising. We love the way they feel proud of themselves. We do this because it keeps them in shape. It is not about the medals or placements or scores. It is about instilling life long lessons in our children about good health, exercise, and not giving up. It teaches the girls how to be gracious winners and good losers without giving up hope.
Crying-yes, my girls have shed a few tears. My youngest has very tight should muscles. She has cried while stretching. No one hurt her. It just hurt to stretch the muscle. Her coaches checked on her and repostioned her and gave me some stretching ideas to do with her at home. My oldest has cried because she had an internal battle within herself about doing a ROBHS. It was a fear issue that she is working through. :)
Yes, gymnastics is a great sport that instills many important lessons and skills. :)

Gymnastdad, I wish your daughter the best of luck persuing her gymnastics goals...

That being said, I am not sure where you live, but if you are in the US, there are other options to the elite path, where children can be successful in this sport. We have girls at our gym who have had "elite potenital" and decided NOT to persue that path. Instead they have found success at JO Nationals and in receiving full scholarships to Div 1 colleges.

The gym where my daughters train only practices 15 hours per week at the USAG optional levels 7, 8, 9, and 10, and they have girls who are successful at local, state, regional, and national levels.

Just my 2 cents....

Gymnastdad,

I saw your original post but couldn't respond last night because I was too tired. I really think your daughter may need to be in a different gym. Personally, I wouldn't let my daughter be in a sport if I thought about it so negatively, even if she loved it. I would, however, try to find other opportunities and see if my perspective changed.

My daughter has cried a few times during conditioning, but very rarely and she was never being forced to do anything. She was crying because she was stretching her splits and trying hard to get it flat and it hurt. She has cried in the car on the way home when she was frustrated about not getting a skill or something, but again, this is not the norm. Most every car ride home is filled with a smiling kid telling me about some skill she is working on or about a positive comment she got from her coach.

I really think you should check out some alternate gyms in your area. There are some great gyms out there, you just have to find it.

Good luck to you finding a way that your daughter can be in the sport she loves, but that you also can accept as well. I have a love/hate relationship with gymnastics sometimes, but mostly it is love. The negatives are mostly the cost, time commitment and drama surrounding it.

I meant to say options other than the elite path (not options to the elite path...) Sorry for the typo...

Didn't see the original post either but also wanted to finish up the question...we do this because our kids have us wrapped around their finger. When they love something we try our best to give them the opportunities. For some, it's not always the "talent" but just the love of the sport. As long as my DD has gymnastics in her heart we keep on going. We cheer for the little things, making it to the podium, getting a skill, working thru a fear. At the point she wants to stop, we are ok with that too. Not seeing your post but reading some of the comments, not sure if you were upset about tears because your DD was being trainned or conditioned too hard or she is upset because she is not enjoying herself in her gym. While my DD never cried during conditioning, sometimes others have cried getting stretched when they were younger. She's never really cried at practice either. My DD is in the gym alot, 15 hrs a week. She gives up a lot to be there. Your DD should be happy in her gym if she's going to be putting serious time in there. Not sure if this is just one thing that happened or a combination of several things. Hope today finds things in a different perpective for you, sometimes 24 hr makes a big difference! Or, maybe this is an eye-opener to look at some other gyms or programs for your DD. (HUGS)) hope it all work out for both of you!

I don't think it overprotective to move a child from an unhealthy program to a healthy one.

Different programs 'fit' for different children and different families. It is absolutely right to consider the effect of your dds gymnastics on your whole family (including you) both socially and emotionally as well as financially. Just because it seems right for her may not be right for the family as a whole. I do urge you to look around and find a gym where you feel more positive. Family is more important than gymnastics. The relationship between you and your dd is more important than gymnastics. Don't feel guilty for thinking that. Even a gold medal at the olympics is not worth damaging a family for.

If gymnastics is having a negative effect on your life and your relationship with your dd then be the parent and pull her out. Soon. Step back and work out which things make you feel like this and then go armed with this list to another gym and try and find a more positive fit. And Good Luck and best wishes.

I never got to read the original post, but I do it because my daughter loves it and I support her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back