Parents Weekly Schedule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow - I'm exhausted just reading these. When do those of you with older kids (and multiple activities) ever get the homework done or do you homeschool? My kids are in school from 7:15-3:15 and then on Tues, Thurs, and Friday it is straight to gym. We get home from gym around 9pm and in bed by 9:30-10pm (much too late in my opinion). My oldest (in 4th grade) does double homework on non-gym nights. I'm already nervous about moving to 4 days of gym in January and still getting the schoolwork done.

We homeschool, so, no "homework" most nights. If they don't get their stuff done they can do it in the evening or weekend, but they do have an opportunity to finish it in the morning almost all the time. I did initially,when looking at school options, lean towards homeschooling because of the opportunity for the kids to pursue multiple activities seriously. We live in a metro area and there is a lot offered.

Mine do choir, piano, gymnastics, dance, swim team, and acting. Choir and dance take breaks during the summer.

Ok, well so far my DD is in the gym the most amount of hours. She is 9 yrs. old (4th grade) and she trains 25 hrs. per week during the school year (35-40 in the summer). She will be competing Level 6/7 this year.

WOW!!! Those hours are insane!!! Especially for a 9 year old L6/7!!!! There are quite a few gyms in my immediate area, Almost all (except one) have L10's and one trains elite girls. None of them train 25 hours per week at those levels... I think the average is 16. And yes, those gyms place consistently in both the individual and team categories at the state meets. Only two of them train 25 hours for their L10's!! And then 35-40 in the summer? Again... WOW!!! I would really keep an eye out for injuries and burnout. Those little bodies can only take so much pounding.

WOW!!! Those hours are insane!!! Especially for a 9 year old L6/7!!!! There are quite a few gyms in my immediate area, Almost all (except one) have L10's and one trains elite girls. None of them train 25 hours per week at those levels... I think the average is 16. And yes, those gyms place consistently in both the individual and team categories at the state meets. Only two of them train 25 hours for their L10's!! And then 35-40 in the summer? Again... WOW!!! I would really keep an eye out for injuries and burnout. Those little bodies can only take so much pounding.

These hours are really the norm around here. There may be some gyms that do roughly 4 hours less a week. Wow, 16 hrs. for Level 10 where you are? That is unheard of in my area of where I live. I live in the NY/NJ area and 16 hours is probably what Levels 4 do here in most gyms. WOW! We're at a well-known great elite gym that my DD absolutely loves. We followed her coaches there when they left the old gym. I've seemed to notice that depending what area/region you're from, my area I found, seems to be extremely competitive and found they do more hours than other parts of the US. Yes you're right, You do always hear of "burn out" but honestly depending on the child that can happen with doing 16 or 18 hours of gym a week as well. Every child is different and what their bodies can handle is different. My DD loves being there. If she ever says she has no energy, doesn't want to go, or is failing school I would immediately question her gym time. She wants to go all the time.... even on her days off!!! lol (of course she stays home, when she's OFF she's OFF!) She gets upset if she needs to miss gym because of something. lol She's also a TOPS girl too, so there's excessive TOPS training during the summer as well and up until after National Testing (just made TOPS A team). I hope she doesn't get burn out and I'm aware that does happen in this sport....if she does, she does then I know she's accomplished alot at her young age and she can look on this as a time in her life in which she enjoyed it and excelled at it. I'm not expecting her to go to the olympics. She's enjoying it while she's in it. And if she doesn't get burnt out and decides to stick with this sport then all the better for her. She has her goals and dreams of what she wants out of this. All we can do is support her and monitor her...and make sure she's healthy, rested and happy. 25 hours a week is what she does and loves. Let's see if her body agrees as she gets older. lol Like I said, each child is different and she's been doing this for over 8 yrs. already (well, started competing at level 3 age 6) and I will support her for as long as she decides to keep in this sport. Luckily, she's never had any injuries and of course that's something we look out for. can it happen in the future...sure! But she's doing level 8/9 skills and hasn't had no injuries (*KNOCK ON WOOD* lol). The gym is strict about their diet as eating healthy helps aid in alot of things, and she's very intuned to her body. We listen to her and watch her closely and so far she's showing NO signs of stopping! haha She is a two-time state champion, going for three-time. :) She had an undefeated season for 2 yrs. in a row. Her team had an undefeated season two years in a row. Everyone on her team came in the top 10 at states and there were 6 first place AA state champions out of the 3 levels her coaches coach.

Best of luck to you!!!!! :)

OKay now lets get this thread back on topic please.

Schedules, all about schedules!!!!
Yes, back on topic everyone!!! Boy, I didn't know MY post about my dd's scheduling would create such a posting frenzy in here. :D haha

Oh yea...forgot to mention about my 6 yr. old's schedule. Well she is special needs so she goes to a special camp for 5 hrs. on Saturdays and gymnastics for an hour a week. She use to do a special needs soccer for a couple yrs. but doesn't like it anymore. :)

Just got an update on our new schedule for gym--good in some ways (starting time) but bad in that it adds another day of activity to her week. New schedule is as follows:

Mon - Dance 5:30-7:00pm & 8:15-9:15pm
Tue - Gymnastics 5:30-8:30pm
Wed - Dance 5:00-6:15pm & 6:30-8:30pm
Thur - Gymnastics 5:30-8:30pm
Fri - Dance 6:30-8:30pm
Sat - Gymnastics 8:00-12:00pm & Dance Rehearsals 12:45-3:45pm
Sun - Dance Rehearsals (if needed)

Before this switch she had Thursdays totally off, now that is not the case. The good thing is that she has at least 2 hours (sometimes more) after school to do homework (she is in 7th grade), get a snack and relax before heading out the door for activities. I guess we will try the schedule and if it gets to be too much, we can always skip one day accordingly.

These hours are really the norm around here. There may be some gyms that do roughly 4 hours less a week. Wow, 16 hrs. for Level 10 where you are? That is unheard of in my area of where I live. I live in the NY/NJ area and 16 hours is probably what Levels 4 do here in most gyms. WOW! We're at a well-known great elite gym that my DD absolutely loves. We followed her coaches there when they left the old gym.

We are in this same area and the gyms I know are 9-12 hrs for L4, a bit more for gyms that have homeschooling options. Our L8-10 train 20 hrs.

My club gymnast--Beth, 8th grade, is level 9 and goes Mon, Tue, Thu from 3:30-8, Fri 3:30-7 and Sat 8:30-12. Wed she has piano practice, Thur she has jazz combo before school. Sunday she rests! She also does girl Scouts, but luckily I'm the leader, so we schedule meetings around her LOL! (just meet once a month)

My 11 yr old (6th grade) tried club gymnastics but it wasn't for her--she's now doing gymnastics at the middle school (coached by her oldest sister (senior) and the HS gymnastics coach--that's Tue and Thu 2:45-4:30 and is on the swim team--practices up to 5 days a week there. Girl Scouts once a month (I'm the leader again) once a month on Mondays. Saturday is her day off (unless she has a swim meet).

My oldest (Sami--Senior) drives herself, so I don't have to work about her schedule! But she does HS gymnastics--is the Captain this year, so busy with setting up captains practices before season begins, etc. She practices at the club twice a week, coaches there and at the MS and has a ton of AP and college level classes.

Then my son (junior) does nothing LOL! He's not driven to push himself like his sisters I guess.

Here it's typical to do about 20 hrs a week for Optionals (our 10s do the same hours as Beth does). Our 6s go 15 hrs a week, I think.

My DD is 6 and in first grade. Competing level 3 this year- begin competing in January and do 1 meet a month through May.

Monday- 1 hr tumbling, 1 hr ballet
Tuesday- 1 hr jazz, 1 hr dance team practice
Wednesday- 3 hrs gym team practice

Our schedule looks beautiful compared to ya'll's, lol. :) Probably because she's little and in a lower level in gym. We're quite happy with the hours right now because she's still young and it enables her to do dance team and gym team. Both of us work full time as well so we enjoy getting family time the other days of the week. I just wish it was spread out a little more over the week. It's good to see that our hours are not unheard of. My in-laws give me a really hard time about DD's activities. But she's having fun and doing good in school so I'm not worried at all. :)

I have 2 children & I guess they have busy schedules, but it seems sorta normal to me... now (;)):

Monday: DD - gym 3-7 ; DS - soccer 7:15-8:45 for now, once days are longer practice gets moved to 6:15-7:45
Tuesday: DD - gym 3-7 ; DS - right now basketball 6:30-8
Wednesday: DD - no gym, but will be working with the Special Olympics team 7-8:30 to earn her hours for school. DS - CCD 7-8
Thursday: DD - gym 3-7; DS - soccer 7:15-8:45
Friday: DD - gym 3-7 ; DS - usually nothing
Saturday: DD - gym 12-4 ; DS has State Cup soccer games or basketball games or indoor soccer games (once that starts up)
Sunday: DD - nothing ; DS - travel soccer games

There is always something going on, but that's ok, we like it like that. DD is also in the NJ/NY area and maxs out at 20hrs, most gyms (not all) that girls attend brick & mortar schools max out at this many hours. She is training L10. I'd rather see my dd accomplish as much as she does on the least amount of hours.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how many hours you put in at the gym - it matters what you do in those hours you are there!

Oops just realized I never answered the original post while I was commenting above :)

DD1 - cheerleader, DD2 - Level 8, DS - travel soccer
Monday - DD2 gym 4-8pm, DS soccer 7-8:30, DD1- cheers at game 4-6pm
Tues - DD2 gym 4-8:30, DD1 - cheering 3-5
Wed - DD 1 cheer 3-5, tumbling class 7-8; DS soccer practice 5:30-7
Thurs - DD2 gym 4-8:30
Fri - DD2 gym 4-7:15, DD1 - cheering
Sat - DS goalie training 9-10:30, regular practice 12-2; DD2 gym 10:30-2:30, DD1 cheering 1-4
Sun - Church & CCD all 3 9:30-12 followed by soccer game
Somehow meets will fit into the weekend too!

Our schedule is crazy busy all year round:

DS (HS Soph.) Marching Band M-W-F-Sat practices with game following practices on Friday night or Sat & USSAB competitions every weekend til November. It is like a sport! Also plays rec baseball in the Spring, umpires the younger rec games for $, and involved in drama and the Model UN Club.

DS (8th grade) tied up in Band, rec baseball and a traveling all-star team. Last year did travel soccer, but there were too many conflicts w/baseball so he had to quit. I'm glad, the games were over an hour away! He also umpires for $ in spare time. Practices for b ball not too bad right now, Fall is the non-competative time, but in Spring the schedule ties us up almost every night of the week and weekends, especially for all stars team. Hubby is a coach so at least one of us always makes the games.

DD (10 yrs) is L6/7 this year, but just conditioning right now due to injury. She played violin, but traded it in for the clarinet this year, plays softball in Spring, and recently started running and did a couple 5 k races. In May she hits the boards, spring boards for dive team at our community pool til July. Her gym schedule right now is 15 hrs/week M,T, Thur, Fri, Sat. Her "season" just started, but she is still side-lined.

With the baseball games and marching band competitions on the weekends it has been crazy. When DD is cleared from the Ortho to go back, and meets start up for her it will be even crazier. But, we manage to find a way to see all the kids play or competet, and like that they all are musicians, do well in school, all did scouts (my DD did it for 2 yrs, boys made it to Boy Scouts) and try different sports and activities. I never want my kids to look back on their childhood and say they were never given the opportunity to do other things, we are very supportive and involved in all their activities. Makes us crazy, but the time flies by so quickly, my 1st "baby" is already thinking about colleges!

Blackie--that's why I've let my kids do tons of stuff--I was always told "no" to pretty much any and all activities as a kid (too much trouble for my parents to drive me). I hated it and resolved never to have my kids regret not getting to do something.

These hours are really the norm around here. There may be some gyms that do roughly 4 hours less a week. Wow, 16 hrs. for Level 10 where you are? That is unheard of in my area of where I live. I live in the NY/NJ area and 16 hours is probably what Levels 4 do here in most gyms. WOW! We're at a well-known great elite gym that my DD absolutely loves. We followed her coaches there when they left the old gym. I've seemed to notice that depending what area/region you're from, my area I found, seems to be extremely competitive and found they do more hours than other parts of the US. Yes you're right, You do always hear of "burn out" but honestly depending on the child that can happen with doing 16 or 18 hours of gym a week as well. Every child is different and what their bodies can handle is different. My DD loves being there. If she ever says she has no energy, doesn't want to go, or is failing school I would immediately question her gym time. She wants to go all the time.... even on her days off!!! lol (of course she stays home, when she's OFF she's OFF!) She gets upset if she needs to miss gym because of something. lol She's also a TOPS girl too, so there's excessive TOPS training during the summer as well and up until after National Testing (just made TOPS A team). I hope she doesn't get burn out and I'm aware that does happen in this sport....if she does, she does then I know she's accomplished alot at her young age and she can look on this as a time in her life in which she enjoyed it and excelled at it. I'm not expecting her to go to the olympics. She's enjoying it while she's in it. And if she doesn't get burnt out and decides to stick with this sport then all the better for her. She has her goals and dreams of what she wants out of this. All we can do is support her and monitor her...and make sure she's healthy, rested and happy. 25 hours a week is what she does and loves. Let's see if her body agrees as she gets older. lol Like I said, each child is different and she's been doing this for over 8 yrs. already (well, started competing at level 3 age 6) and I will support her for as long as she decides to keep in this sport. Luckily, she's never had any injuries and of course that's something we look out for. can it happen in the future...sure! But she's doing level 8/9 skills and hasn't had no injuries (*KNOCK ON WOOD* lol). The gym is strict about their diet as eating healthy helps aid in alot of things, and she's very intuned to her body. We listen to her and watch her closely and so far she's showing NO signs of stopping! haha She is a two-time state champion, going for three-time. :) She had an undefeated season for 2 yrs. in a row. Her team had an undefeated season two years in a row. Everyone on her team came in the top 10 at states and there were 6 first place AA state champions out of the 3 levels her coaches coach.

Best of luck to you!!!!! :)

Your hours are CRAZY! We are located in NJ, and while we are not considered an "Elite" gym or have a TOPS program, we are proud of our L5 team coming in #3 this year! We do not do those hours, we do about 15 /week for our 5/6's. I am not sure what our 4's do, maybe about 13. But, our schedule works for us, my DD loves being at the gym, but does other activities. This schedule allows her to do it all with no regrets. I know your DD does TOPS so maybe that is why the extra hours?

Oppsie, back to schedual topic...Our gym is only about 8 min away so this is a HUGE help with me being able to maintain the crazy schedule I have with my other 2 kids and thankful we have some great gym friends/moms. Especially on weekends the girls especially love their BFF time as soon as they leave the gym & always seem to have plans made by p/up time, LOL

EXACTLY! Variety is the spice of life, LOL

QUOTE=gymmomtoo;175519]Blackie--that's why I've let my kids do tons of stuff--I was always told "no" to pretty much any and all activities as a kid (too much trouble for my parents to drive me). I hated it and resolved never to have my kids regret not getting to do something.[/QUOTE]

These hours are really the norm around here. There may be some gyms that do roughly 4 hours less a week. Wow, 16 hrs. for Level 10 where you are?

Sorry, I meant 16 hours is the norm for L6-8 in my area. Level 9/10 usually go for 20-25. The most competitive gym in the area (that has produced elites) goes 25.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back