Coaches What are the steps to

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dQuintV

Proud Parent
Hi everyone, my daughter started gymnastics last year for recreational basic level 1 when she’s 8 yo. Last January she was promoted for level 3. My daughter talked to me and wanted to learn more since she wants to join a competition someday. She’s already 9 and I don’t know if she’s late already to learn more on gymnastics, I don’t have any idea and I don’t have any idea on gymnastics since I’m new on this sport. What are the steps in order to join for the competition? Do you think adding tumbling classes will help her meet her goal? Please advice. Thanks

I would start by making your interest known to her coaches. At the gym I worked for, all of our recreational classes naturally progressed to Xcel silver, so theoretically, everyone was on the "team track". Realistically, most kids never make it there, but that's how the gym was structured. We had girls start team as teenagers. Every gym, however, is different, so learning how your gym works is the best place to start.

Yes, every gym has their own rule when it comes to competitive gymnastics, so start by asking questions. You can try talking to her current coaches or the gym administration or just email the gym. Ask what the process is for getting on pre-team\team. Some do try-outs, some are invite only, or just natural progression through the rec levels. You can ask her coaches if they think she has a chance to make it or what would she need to work on. Also ask what kind of teams they have, there are different tracks and some are less serious than others. There is Development Program (DP), which is the most intense and the hardest to get into as a 9 years old. But there are other options - Xcel, USAIGC, NGA, etc. Don't be afraid to express your and your child's interest.

Well, to join a competition team she will need to hit all the requirements on every event. She is old enough to join. A tumbling class would work too, but also remember to work on the dance. (Turns, leaps, splits). First you should ask questions about the competitive team and see what she needs to work on, maybe then get her on to pre-team or a more advanced class. Also remember to ask her coach for advice on what they think she should be.

Like was said before it really depends how your gym does it. At my gym you get moved up to pre-team before you can get moved up to the team. It’s really up to the coaches to decide when you can go up to team. So, basically I would suggest requesting a meeting with a coach that coaches on the team to discuss your daughter.

Hi everyone, my daughter started gymnastics last year for recreational basic level 1 when she’s 8 yo. Last January she was promoted for level 3. My daughter talked to me and wanted to learn more since she wants to join a competition someday. She’s already 9 and I don’t know if she’s late already to learn more on gymnastics, I don’t have any idea and I don’t have any idea on gymnastics since I’m new on this sport. What are the steps in order to join for the competition? Do you think adding tumbling classes will help her meet her goal? Please advice. Thanks
Hi! I’ll share what happened with me when I joined gymnastics and it should hopefully be helpful. I was in rec classes at around 6 and a half after I had quit dance and then about a year later I was asked to be moved to a competitive team. Being 7, I obviously didn’t know whether to pick developmental or xcel so my parents picked xcel for me because I was also involved in other sports. I was then on bronze for 2 years which is typical at my gym and then on silver for two years. I am now on my first year of gold at 12 and hoping to move up to platinum early. (Platinum is the equivalent to dp levels 6-8, depending on the gymnast). Your daughter is certainly not too old, and especially if she is progressing well. If she’d like to be able to compete next season I’d suggest doing list of conditioning and drills at home to build muscle and flexibility. Have her practice handstands and cartwheels on a line to act as a beam or on a floor beam if you have one. V-ups are great for learning a kip and I’ll list a workout that should be helpful.
•10 hollow tuck-ups then hold a hollow for 30 seconds
•roll to tummy and do 10 arch rocks then hold in an arch for 30 seconds
•10 push-ups
•30 second handstand hold against wall
•10 v-ups
•10 squats
Repeat 3 times
Another thing she should do is practice her splits as she needs them for split jumps, front handsprings, and other skills. She should practice pointing her toes and also high kicks with straight legs. In the gym she should be working to get a round off back handspring if she doesn’t have one and a Kip if she doesn’t have it yet. She should have a handstand on beam and a pivot turn. On bars she should also have a back hip circle. Make sure the coach knows she’d like to move up soon so that the coach can help her with drills and skills that can help her move faster. She should be competing in no time! Good luck to your daughter, and don’t let her forget that she’s doing this because she lives it, not just to get a good score

I think everyone covered the basics (talk to her coaches, find out what options they have available [Xcel, DP], find out their criteria and process for competitive team, find out if that criteria includes age).

I just wanted to reiterate: your daughter is definitely not too old to learn and enjoy gymnastics! We signed our daughter up for a Rec 1 class for her 9th birthday, and five years later she is enjoying a successful season as a Level 7 who is loving every minute of her experience. And she has competed against girls years older than her doing the same. So if you hear "too old" from one gym, don't let that be the final answer. Keep looking for the gym that will help her reach her competition goals. 💪😄

What are the steps in order to join for the competition?

Just ask whatever club you are at. If there is more than one club in the area... ask them all... then you may have more options.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back