WAG What distinguishes camps at The Ranch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
I get confused about the different camps at the Karolyis. Would anyone be willing to explain all the different camps hosted at The Ranch? Thanks!

This is what I think I know, feel free to correct. There does seem to be some movement between the camps, I guess a lot of that depends on how many accept invites etc.

National Tops testing camp

For kids who test TOPs skills and get above a certain score - held yearly - Top XX girls get invited to TOPs A camp, Top XX get invited to TOPs B camp. Some girls may be invited to DIC. They used to get a t-shirt, leo and warm up.

TOPs A camp

For the top XX testers at testing camp. Camp is fully paid for.

TOPs B camp

For the second group of XX testers from National testing - the campers pays fees.

Development Invite Camp - DIC

Girls generally invited through the TOPs system, though coaches can submit videos. Access used to be much easier, now it really is invite only. These girls tend to be the higher end of TOPs and hopes kids. Campers pay fees.

Development Camp - DC

An older group of girls, also by invite only. Girls seem to range from 9 through 14, at 14 they age out of this camp. Some may be invited to national team camp, some may not. Girls here will be hopes and junior elite. Camp is paid for plus one coach.

National team camp

This camp includes the national team, though they may not all attend due to time off after major meets or injury. Other girls that attend this camp will be junior and senior elites invited to attend. Attending the camp does not guarantee a place on the National Team.

National team -

A small group of girls who are chosen for the team. These girls are the ones you expect to see compete for the US internationally. Making this team is tough.

Awesome! Thanks so much! So about how many attend those Developmental Camps?

Numbers do vary, I think the DIC camp had close to 50 girls and the DC about 30. But you definitely see them going up and down. USAG often posts photos on their FB page. We have quite a few members with kids who attend DIC and DC.

Another question, can you end up on National Team without ever having gone to one of these camps?

Ahh, gotcha. So when you are invited to any of those camps, is it just a one-time thing like TOPS? Sort of like having to reapply/qualify each year?

And do they indeed only happen once a year?

Reactions: sce
Ahh, gotcha. So when you are invited to any of those camps, is it just a one-time thing like TOPS? Sort of like having to reapply/qualify each year?

And do they indeed only happen once a year?

Dev camp and Nat Team camp happen most months, sometimes with breaks when there are things like the O's happening. On the USAG website under the elite link you can find the calendar for the year. All the camps are on it. DIC happens less often. TOPs testing and the TOPs A & B camps are once a year events.

TOPs you qualify yearly until you age out.

DIC is all about being invited each time. Dev Camp and Nat Team camp seem to be that once you have been invited a few times, and the camp staff like what they see, you seem to keep your spot.

Girls do not have to do TOPs to get to camps though, coaches can, and do, submit videos of their gymnasts. Lots of girls get invited that way.

A huge part of the camps is really for the coaches though, they get to go with their gymnasts and learn new coaching techniques from the national team staff and also to network. Then they take their new skills home to their gyms. SO the benefits flow down from the camps that way too.

As I said, I could be wrong on some of these points, but this is what I think I know. Totally am prepared to be corrected/educate if someone has better input.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back