Coaches What do you teach your pre-team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
I am starting a new group of talented litle girls ages 6-9 in pre-team next week. The goal is that they will compete USAG Level 4 (which will be the new Level 3 next year) in Fall 2013. I have several ideas of what I want to stress, but I was interested to hear what other people do in their gyms. These kids seem to have the potential to be long-term gymnasts, so I want to set them up for that. I'm going to focus on strength and flexibility and form obviously, but I also want them to learn cast handstands (with spot), kip drills, etc. Any specific suggestions??

Well you need to keep it fun for this age, lots of little challenges and things are great. A lot of focus on body shaping, conditioning, strength, flexibility, body tension and handstands.

lots of tumbling work walk overs, cartwheels, round offs, flics, backward rolls, presses, handstand walking, tic tocs.

fun activities on beam to improve their balance and confidence.

Aside from keeping it fun......Stress correct technique as a means of making the sport easier, instead of "cutting them some slack" by watering down your approach to technique. IMO it's easy for young coaches to feel that asking for correct positions and good form is too much of a burden for the kids. Gymnastics is made easier by using good form and positions, as they allow for more efficient movement.

I teach the same class. I focus on form and more technical about teeing in and horizontal casts things like that. I try and teach all the skills from which ever USAG level they are working on. I made a chart with different skills for each level and they try and pass to work on harder skills. They LOVE that! We also do about 20 minutes of conditioning each class.

Form, basics, strength and flexibility.

A lot of the details will depend on how much time you have and what your rotation schedule is.

Lots of handstand work and start to work on presses, basic trampoline work as well including twisting in air or from back or stomach. Don't wait till they need it.

Rope climbing. No legs, EVER. If they can't climb up it, they can sit in straddle and do pullups off the floor or with the heels anchored.

Start teaching them proper steps on vault using odd numbered steps counting half the steps. Hurdle on same leg as round-off.

And don't forget headsprings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back