Parents What has being a gym parent taught you?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Now I know there have been threads about what your kiddos have learned by being gymnasts. But I was just wondering what you as a parent has learned about being a parent of a gymnast.

I have learned alot. Im sure I will think of more after I post this. But here is my first list..lol

1) I have learned that in some situations..just because Im Momma, doesnt mean I always know best. I pay these people to do their job..and I need to step back and trust them. (When it comes to gymnastics they know more than me...lol)

2) Ive learned that laughter through tears is one of the most wonderful feelings in the world.

3)Ive learned that when they get hurt, or sick ect..and they no longer want "Momma to kiss it and make it better" that is very bitter sweet.

4) Ive learned that gymnastics have been a blessing to my DD in more ways than I could ever count. (and I will do everything possible to support (money wise, physicaly, mentaly..ect) her in this for as long as she wants to do it).

5) Ive learned that kids see things/people for exactly what they are. And not what others have built it up to be..good or bad.

6) Ive learned that kids are one of the best judges of character. (because of number 5)

7) Ive learned that children with big feet do NOT have better balance. And that they are also not like puppies and grow up to be big adults..lol

Biggest lesson of all, no matter how much your child wants something, how much you help them and how great they are at gym...inuries can stop them in their tracks and change their life forever.

I can live in the car and drive for endless hours and have great conversations with my kids, miss that this year.

I have learned that parents will be awesome, great friends and kind supporters.

I have learned that some parents will lie, manipulate and cause trouble in order to advance their child.

I have learned that my kids are capable of scary feats and beautiful things.

I have learned that my kids can train long hours, get great grades in school and remain organised and involved in life outside of gym.

I have learned that gym is ridiculously expensive and addictive!

Lastly, and for me most importantly, I have learned to let go, of the process, of the journey, of the stress of wondering and worrying about the path they would take. Gym became way more fun after that.

Now gym is done for me, I have learned that some coaches have been the most wonderful role models, and some gym friends are friends for life. I have learned that I can spend money on other things.

Oh and cheerleading is odd.

-I have learned how strong DD really is, mentally and physically.
-I have learned to "let go" of the need for control and being overprotective.
-I have learned that it's not so bad to depend on the 20 minute meal after practices, LOL.:)
-Last, but not least, I have learned that this sport has taught my DD much more than just winning and losing. And if she only stays in the sport a few more years, the knowledge she has gained is well worth the time and money.

How long dd can test me before I snap :rolleyes: and that there are many other mental people out there who sacrifice their own "lives" so that their children can be indulged :D

Being a gym parent has taught me….
  1. That a smile and a thumbs up can be just the right motivator.
  2. That as much as I want her to succeed, that is it her that physically has to do it.
  3. That it’s ok to shed a tear with your gymnast when your heart aches for her and her struggles.
  4. To never complain about the costs of travel soccer (the whole year’s cost is equivalent to a month’s cost of gymnastics.)
  5. Luck is part of the equation to a successful gymnastics career.
  6. Injuries are expected. Just pray the injury is short, sweet and has an 100% recovery rate.

I've learned that have a crazy gym mom lurking in my soul (and I have to work hard not to let her out).
I've learned that I have as much to learn from my children as they do from me (if not more).
I've learned that there really must be some atheletic and graceful genes lurking in my (or my husband's) gene pool somewhere (who woulda thunk it?).
I've learned that watching my child compete is totally terrifying and totally thrilling and that every gym meet ages me by at least five years (so I've got to be over a hundred by now!).
I've learned to never say "never" when it comes to your children (as in "I would never involve my child in a sport that requires her to train 15 hours a week!" or "I would never spend that much money on an activity for my child!").
I've learned that "winning" is an attitude... not a score or a ribbon or a trophy. Some of the meets where I've been most proud of my daughter have been meets where she didn't even place.
I've learned that a lot of dedication and determination can be packed into a little person.

This is a really great post! I don't have much to add, as DD's only been in gym for 5 months, but the one thing I can say is.

Don't lose your gym reciepts!! UGH!

I'm being charged for something I already paid for.....

-It's OK to eat dinner in the car on the way home from the gym....
-It's OK to drop and run and not stay and watch practice...
-It's OK to not know what all the moves are.....as long as my daughter knows what to do, it's all good!!
-It's not OK to forget to wash the (many) leos when practice is in an hour....but leos wash quickly by hand and dry quick too :)
-Injuries happen and hopefully our children will get through and move on....
-Gym moms are my friends and they get it and support me and my daughter (I'm lucky to have a great bunch!!)
-Many hours of practice have taught my daughter to stay organized and plan ahead
-Always bring cash to a meet (or rely on nice mom friends to get me in the door!)

Some silly things Gymnastics has taught me...

First, I have learned to never try and guess girls in your child's competing division based on height cause some of these girls are so tiny... and my child is apparently freakishly tall!

Secondly I have learned that picking your butt must happen at the following times during practice - Before mounting equipment, before attempting skill, after completing skill and 6 times in between for good measure.

Third I have learned to do meet hair that will not move even in a category 5 hurricane, yet no matter what I do it will always look like crap when practice is done.

And lastly, I have learned that I know absolutely NOTHING about gymnastics.

First, I have learned to never try and guess girls in your child's competing division based on height cause some of these girls are so tiny... and my child is apparently freakishly tall!

SO TRUE! I don't know how many times I've thought "That child can't be any older than 7!" only to see her later up on the podium with the 10-year-olds!

I could not agree more with your #1!

I have learned that I don't care if my dd falls and the score doesn't matter - as long as she is OK.

I have learned to stay out of the waiting area of the gym!

I have learned that just because someone was the best at something one meet or one year - does NOT mean it will continue.

I have learned how strong my dd is.

I have learned how competitive my dd is.

Hmm, I will have to think more on this, I KNOW there is a lot more I have learned.

I have learned:
1. that I can't teach everything to my children - that they need others to show them the way too.
2. to spider web hair just right so it stays perfect the whole meet
3. (through my dd) that it really is an amazing feeling to face your fear and realize it wasn't so bad after all.
4. to be more trusting of other people and more accepting of their help - just by watching dd in the gym daily trusting her coaches that they will not drop her.
5. that it truly is determination that drives this sport.
There are so many more but I have to stop to go pick up dd. lol

It has taught me to trust. To trust her coaches who know better than me about gymnastics, to trust my daughter to know her body best (when she might REALLY need a night off), and to trust myself and my own instincts.

It has taught me that "other gym moms" are the only ones that will truly "get it". Even my closest friend doesn't understand and attempts to lecture me often that she thinks team gym at age 7 it too much (and DD is only there 4 hours per week on preteam).

That my daughter is a feisty, tenacious little sprite when it comes to gymnastics. :)

That seeing a true passion in a 7 year old is something to behold. I hope all children can experience it, no matter what their passion is.

It has taught me that my daughter's closest friends aren't necessarily in her classroom or in our neighborhood. She has made some tight bonds with some great girls on her team, even though not all of them are "her age".

My daughter is very brave, and I am getting there. I can even watch her climb the rope now!

Thanks, everyone for sharing.

I have learned that it is my daughter's sport, not mine (I think I first heard that here:)). There will always be another meet, another skill to learn, or another child who is "better" then my daughter....but there will be only one "today" so don't dwell on those things and LET THEM BE KIDS.

From my older DD I learned:

Bravery is something completely different than fearlessness.

The only question to ask after practice is: Did you have fun?

Never let a gym say you can't watch practice. If they have problem parents, they should deal with them. I'll never give a coach that much control over a child again.

Determination beats talent (almost) every time.

Being competitive is a good thing - not a character flaw.

Enjoy the ride!

From Little ZZ I've learned:

The "big bars" are fun!

The "big beam" is exciting but also scary!

Bouncing is fun.

A good coach understands that a five year old is not a machine.

Thank you everyone. I love reading these. I agree with everything everyone has said. There are just so many things I have learned. And Im sure the list of things I have yet to learn is so much larger.

I have learned....

To KEEP my mouth SHUT even though it wants to run wild sometimes!

To let the Coaches coach. She really does not want that from her Mom anyway.

That this sport takes the support of the whole family.

That people outside the gym just don't get this sport and I don't even try to explain. (everyone says, are you going to the Olympics? which kills me just because your kids a swimmer I don't assume that.)

How much I have fallen in LOVE with this sport.

How much it has taught my daughter in and out of the gym.

How much I have learned FROM and about my daughters!

That spending several thousand dollars a year on my childs sport, doesn't really bother me.

That I would get so excited about each meet.

I admire my child sooooo very much for doing her hard work and doing what is possibly is the harderst sport.

I have learned:

-That the Balance Beam being one of the events in gymnastics is a symbol for "keeping balance" in such a broader sense of the expression.

-Ignorance about the sport is definitely "bliss".

-Stepping back once in a while and looking at the big picture is so needed in gymnastics.

-Medals, ribbons and high scores are not needed to make a gymnast feel proud of themselves and their efforts.

-Seeing your child smile through bobbles or falls on events is one of the reasons why you love this sport.

-Gymnastics is just one part of their life--it is an activity which does not define them.

-Eventually the gymnastics journey will have to end and they will be a stronger person because of this journey (even if they don't realize it at that time).

The first thing that comes to mind is time management!

Also, I have learned what a great work ethic my DD has and how tough she is, and that makes me very proud. I hope that is something she carries with her in life in whatever she decides to pursue as an adult.

Also, not something that I have learned, but one thing that we have gained are some very good friends.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back